Weed trees

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in michigan.We have alot of weed trees that grow along the fence line,I`ve cut these things down,put weed killer on then and they won`t die.Any ideas on how to get rid of them?

You have to grub them out by the root. Once a year I go around my fence line and gub out the saplings planted by the birds that perch on the fence. The problem is apathetic neighbors who don't care what grows along the fence. I have a number of 40' trees that grew along the fence line from neglect before I moved in.

Weed trees IMO:
Norway Maple
Alanthus (tree of Heaven)
mullberry
box elder
Siberian elm (sometimes called Chinese elm)
Russian olive
etc.

Some are particularly nasty. I once cut down some Russian olives (sold as an ornamental at least in the 1970s) and root suckers were coming up everywhere within 10 or so feet from the stump. Finally had the stumps ground out.

Are you using weed killer, or actual stump killer? Because there is a difference. I cut them down, paint them with stump killer and have never had one come back. You can find it at most garden centers.
I've never grubbed a tree out, and hope to never have to.

Last edited:
I was told also to cover the stump with a tarp for a week or so after applying the stump killer to ensure that the chemical had time to be absorbed before being washed away by rain.

Originally Posted By: TWG1572
Are you using weed killer, or actual stump killer? Because there is a difference. I cut them down, paint them with stump killer and have never had one come back. You can find it at most garden centers.
I've never grubbed a tree out, and hope to never have to.

What kind of tree did you cut down. What brand stump killer did you use. Was the stump killer used to promote faster decaying on a dead stump or to kill an active growing stump?

Certain trees when cut down doesn't grow back but the stump will take forever to decay...some will use a stump killer to quicken the decaying process. Some stump could take years to decay naturally.

Herbicide works when the host plant is actively growing so it can suck up the active chemicals.

Last edited:
I bought some stuff at the local co-op to kill black locust. Forget what it is but it set me back about 80 bucks for a quart.

Worked too! Locust trees are hard to kill!

I have had luck with rock salt also....drill some holes in the stump...add the salt and they die.

Actually, Round up or any of it's generic incarnations of glyphosate has "cut stump treatment" labeling.

Google "glyphosate cut stump treatment" for lots of info such as this one: http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1401.pdf

At my workplace, our chemical of choice for woody brush control is Garlon. It is available for consumer use under different product labels with the active ingredient triclopyr. Be noteful of root grafts and possible translocation to desirable trees. And, as always, treat chemicals with respect and always follow label directions (it's the law).

I drilled the stump full of holes, poured them full of charcoal lighter, and let them soak. Drop a briquet on top and start it with a hot air gun and let 'er rip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back