We just had an earthquake here in No. NJ 10:26AM Friday 05 April

I’m in eastern Pennsylvania and was working from home when it happened. I thought it was a trash truck rolling down the street, but I couldn’t see any trucks and it lasted much longer than a truck zooming through…

Lots and lots of exceptionally old faults all along the east coast.

The big earthquake in Charleston SC back in the late 1800s was very strong. From my memory I believe it was a 6.3 to 6.9 estimated earthquake. . That one did quite a bit of damage at that time.

The one in Louisa County Va in 2011 was 5.8 I believe…

I experienced one in summer 2008 in Roanoke Va at 345 am… Where I was at my sisters we were literally a 1/2 mile from the epicenter. A 3.8 which shook the house rather good and it started with a very loud boom…

Funny I woke up literally right before it happened. When that earthquake hit I first was wondering if it was a thunderbolt that did that. Checked my accuweather radar on my phone showed zero storms within 600 miles on my location. My lady woke up spooked pretty good… I told her I thought it was a real earthquake.

My brother in law and I got out in his car and drove to the top of the large hill… People were out in the street wandering around. My brother in law thought maybe it was an airplane crash and it could have hit nearby on that large hill that is 5 miles south of the Roanoke airport. When we didn’t see anything he figured it really was a real deal earthquake.

A 2.6 earthquake hit my home county of Gloucester county in the early 2000s. People reported a loud muffled boom and then their houses shook a little.

Interesting I had that happen when I lived in northern Gloucester when I was in middle school. A loud muffled boom and the house shook a little bit. Thinking back I bet that was a 2.5 or so very small earthquake. I remember thinking it was odd and that I went outside to see if there was any thunderstorm nearby and there was not.

Very interesting that could happen even along that close to the coastline. When I learned about the big earthquake in Charleston SC then I was like holy cow… That was unexpected.

To Thebigm: Which I, nor my wife, did not feel. Be skeptical of tallies of aftershock data.
The 6pm aftershock was very real on Long Island as I posted above Thebigm post.
It was a 3.8 and was stronger in some areas of Long Island than the original.

IMG_7482.jpeg

Source (and confirmed in my other post)

Oh yes. My wife's friends on Long Island felt it for real.

Years ago when I lived in NYC, southbound city busses would hit the slightly raised rim of a manhole and it'd shake the house.
After the Ardsley Quake, you could still count on the busses hitting the manhole hardware but the house no longer shook.

I didnt mean that last post to come out so large... geez... I did it from my phone and the edit time has expired. 😖

Oh yes. My wife's friends on Long Island felt it for real.

Years ago when I lived in NYC, southbound city busses would hit the slightly raised rim of a manhole and it'd shake the house.
After the Ardsley Quake, you could still count on the busses hitting the manhole hardware but the house no longer shook.

I, along with a few others, were at a business in Phoenixville, PA where there were approximately 40 other people present. The Director was giving us a tour and nobody present felt anything. Wasn’t until after we had lunch and on the way home that we heard about it on the radio.

Back