Wax ratings on Dmitry's Garage

you can get a shiny finish, BUT for darker colors the colllinite 915 excels as it covers + darkens the finish!! previously i used original paste simonize that looked great but required a lot of elbow grease + was short lived, 915 is a little easier + lasts longer + looks FANTASTIC on my black vehicles!!! use Griots best of show with an orbital for a decent in between but although shiny depth is poor. its a few years old + wondering if it got upgraded! its EZE + on light to med dark colors its pretty good IMO!

About three months ago I saw some Rust-Oleum Factor 4 at Tractor Supply. I'd never seen this before and was intrigued by the fact that it was a multi step system. Anyhow, after a few more trips to TSC, I finally went ahead and bought some. I'm think it was somewhere around 20 ~ 25 bucks.

Application was no more difficult than other waxes, and the durability has been outstanding. The beading and sheeting action after three months is identical to just waxed. My truck is keep in a garage so that does, of course, help with the longevity. I used all the wash soap for the first app, but did have a lot of the past leftover. I'd definitely but some more, especially if I ever find it on clearance.

Very, very, good post ^^^^^^^↑^^^^^

I would believe It's not just particles I would be concerned about...
The inhalation of aerosolized droplets.... That are less than 5 microns in size. Or even down to 400 nanometers in size.

A very well made and properly fitted n95 mask is highly efficient down to 300 nanometers. With a beta ratio over 75 at that size droplet or particle.
Thanks! Yes the aerosolized droplets are an issue. The droplets will have solvent and possibly carry those emulsified particles as well which will solidify. I should have been clearer when I talked about aerosolization. Any kind of respiratory protection is a good thing, even N95, as far as stopping larger droplets and particles. However solvents will still get through as they evaporate, even on the mask surface itself.

For organic vapors from solvents and chemicals like acids there is a rule of "if you can smell it then your protection isn't working", and really only chem carts with activated carbon will block those vapors. Even if you don't have a chem cart, it is still better to wear N95 or a P100 particulate filter than nothing, because at least you won't be coughing up the emulsified solids later. Without a mask at all I'm sure many have experienced spraying spray paint and then having that color mucus come out of you later that day, at least N95 will prevent that even if it doesn't stop the solvent inhalation.
@oesman, first of all thank you very much for the great hard work you are doing at Dmitry's Garage! The wax ratings are very useful.

I have a question. About 27 hours after I applied Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine, I drove the car on a cold (~ 57 °F), humid night. As soon as I got out of the garage, condensation occurred on the paint. It was really a lot of condensation, and the paint looked very cloudy and uneven, especially on horizontal panels. I was looking at other cars and no other car had as much condensation as mine. In fact there was one very well-taken-care-of silver SUV, probably detailed, that was parked out there in the parking lot, and there was no condensation on it whatsoever! How can this be? Do some waxes attract moisture more than others? Is this because it was only a day after the wax was applied? Did I do something wrong? The car certainly doesn't look good when it is so cloudy. Here are some pictures. Note that I also waxed the black grill around the Toyota emblem. I rubbed my finger on the mirror to show the condensation. The next day the paint looked normal. Perhaps it looked a little lighter than without the wax.
You're welcome, and thank you for checking it out! :)

I would wonder if the other cars had simply been outside for a while? My garage is climate controlled and some days when I pull outside the right conditions of temperatures and humidity hit dew point. Even without HVAC garages will have a different humidity and temperature to outside air. As I pull out my vehicle starts to get condensation on it and my windows fog up. I have to sit there for a bit with the air blasting because I have zero visibility.

Typically its a problem in the middle of winter and middle of summer. So my guess is the condensation is simply due to you pulling out of the garage and hitting the right conditions for dew point at that moment. The other cars never met those conditions or already passed them having been outside a while. I'm sure when you got to where you were going you didn't have condensation anymore, right?

As for the uneven condensation it is likely related to the wax. Wax will cause water to bead more and it's possible you had high spots in the way you leveled the wax. Sometimes this is due to missing spots or not fully wiping up spots or using too much product. I have seen this with some wax applications, especially products that don't easily self level. This isn't typically a big deal unless you can tell in normal conditions.
Thanks for acknowledging my points/observations. It's not always easy to even take constructive criticism, especially when you put a good deal of effort into something like you have here.
I always welcome constructive criticism, because it can result in interesting discussions and thoughts. Some have led me to change my methodologies. Any thought out replies are always good.
Thanks for putting this together. I'm always interested in durability, as some of my vehicles get washed often, and one sits outside 24/7. It helps a lot to have data.
No problem! My aim is to keep expanding this list and expanding my testing :).
This is a very instructive thread.

@Gokhan , I haven’t had the condensation issue on mine but I’ve noticed that pollen seems to attract to the body surface more more with the Griots 3 in 1 Ceramic. Just overnight after I washed and sprayed the car I go out to see the dusting. It seems to stick rather than blow off while driving. A quick wash takes care of things but I don’t recall this happening with other products.
This is a good observation, I've found some products seem to generate more static cling.

This is a good observation, I've found some products seem to generate more static cling.

That must be what it is then. Unfortunately if I want to apply a second coat I have to wash the car again to get the pollen off. Just rinsing it doesn’t do the job. I end up waiting about a week before washing and putting on the second coat.

I don’t remember this happening with regular wax.

I would wonder if the other cars had simply been outside for a while? My garage is climate controlled and some days when I pull outside the right conditions of temperatures and humidity hit dew point. Even without HVAC garages will have a different humidity and temperature to outside air. As I pull out my vehicle starts to get condensation on it and my windows fog up. I have to sit there for a bit with the air blasting because I have zero visibility.

Typically its a problem in the middle of winter and middle of summer. So my guess is the condensation is simply due to you pulling out of the garage and hitting the right conditions for dew point at that moment. The other cars never met those conditions or already passed them having been outside a while. I'm sure when you got to where you were going you didn't have condensation anymore, right?

As for the uneven condensation it is likely related to the wax. Wax will cause water to bead more and it's possible you had high spots in the way you leveled the wax. Sometimes this is due to missing spots or not fully wiping up spots or using too much product. I have seen this with some wax applications, especially products that don't easily self level. This isn't typically a big deal unless you can tell in normal conditions.
Thanks! You may be right that since most people around here don't keep their cars in a garage, that's why my car attracted so much moisture when it got out. However, this has never happened before, and it would be a coincidence to have an unusually humid night the next day after I waxed my car. Nevertheless, coincidences do happen all the time. Yes, it's hard to get the wax completely even but it's not noticeable when there is no condensation.

One more question: Do you recommend waxing the plastic, rubber, and glass areas with Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine?

Thanks! You may be right that since most people around here don't keep their cars in a garage, that's why my car attracted so much moisture when it got out. However, this has never happened before, and it would be a coincidence to have an unusually humid night the next day after I waxed my car. Nevertheless, coincidences do happen all the time. Yes, it's hard to get the wax completely even but it's not noticeable when there is no condensation.

One more question: Do you recommend waxing the plastic, rubber, and glass areas with Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine?
You can and I generally do with products like SnS or ceramic coatings. It may add a little gloss since rubbers and plastics are matte typically. There are other products if you prefer them to be more matte looking, but I don't mind and it's fun to see water beading on truck side rail protectors and such.

I'm missing Sonax BSD (Brilliant Shine Detailer) in the list. Honestly, the name detailer isn't suited to the product, it isn't what we understand under the term detailer. But it's a rather fantastic spray sealant with ultimate hydrophobic properties.

Long lasting too, took a lot of effort to wash off with overconcentrated citrus based shampoo, slight paint cleanser, there were still remains of BSD left. That stuff is lasting for a minimal effort in application. Nowadays I simpy spray some in my drying towel and dry my car while sealing.

Tried a lot, but I always come back to 2 products nowadays. CarPro and Sonax BSD.

I'm missing Sonax BSD (Brilliant Shine Detailer) in the list. Honestly, the name detailer isn't suited to the product, it isn't what we understand under the term detailer. But it's a rather fantastic spray sealant with ultimate hydrophobic properties.

Long lasting too, took a lot of effort to wash off with overconcentrated citrus based shampoo, slight paint cleanser, there were still remains of BSD left. That stuff is lasting for a minimal effort in application. Nowadays I simpy spray some in my drying towel and dry my car while sealing.

Tried a lot, but I always come back to 2 products nowadays. CarPro and Sonax BSD.

It’s in the second section under Hybrid and Polymer Spray Waxes.

I have found it to be a decent product. I use it mainly for door jambs and hatch openings as I use the Griots 3in1 for the exterior.

As someone who’s no expert, and only knows enough about detailing to be dangerous, I’ve enjoyed reading through this thread, as well as a bit of the Dmitry’s Garage comparison article.

Ive been someone who’s used parts store products such as Meguiar’s #26, TechWax, and Cleaner Wax, which, I understand, are now ancient history as far as the technology of waxes, sealants, and coatings go.

In fact, I only recently learned that there’s a difference between a sealant and a coating.

A few years ago, I did spend a little time over on the Meguiar’s forum and tried to educate myself a little bit, but it’s been about 5 years. And I am starting to realize that the technology has grown by leaps and bounds since then.

Probably the best result I ever got, shine-wise, was when I applied Meguiar’s #7 “Show Car Glaze”, followed by the #26. I remember, at the time, thinking that #7 was a real bear to apply and remove by hand!

Tell ya what, though, that #26 really doesn’t seem to last very long. Or, maybe I need to apply it more than once every few months!

From what I’m reading now, it seems like #26 is probably a good “topper” - in other words, probably best to apply something longer-lasting as a ”base coat” for max protection, then the #26 on top, for visual effect and slickness.

Suggestions?

I recently did the wife’s new Magnetic Gray Metallic 4Runner, and the #26 did really make it look pretty. So easy to apply and remove, also. But I’d like to apply something else as a base layer that would be longer lasting. Then, the 26 as a topper.

Anyway, really cool to see that the guy who wrote that comparison is a member here!

Suggestions?

I recently did the wife’s new Magnetic Gray Metallic 4Runner, and the #26 did really make it look pretty. So easy to apply and remove, also. But I’d like to apply something else as a base layer that would be longer lasting. Then, the 26 as a topper.

Anyway, really cool to see that the guy who wrote that comparison is a member here!

Totally agree that the detailing market is blowing up like crazy. New products are coming out faster than I can add them to my test queue :). I've been sorting by requests count to hit the ones people ask about more to order the list!

As far as suggestions, if you're just getting back into things and want to try something that is somewhat traditional and not worry about complicated processes or exotic use cases; I would say Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3 is great. It would be similar to the Meguiars product, but I really like the performance it gives and it is very easy to use. If you want to shoot for more of a spray or newer generation product without going to something exotic; Turtle Wax Seal N Shine is a great all around product and very easy to use. If you want to take the plunge into coatings, Adam's Graphene Spray Coating is fairly forgiving. Any of these products would work great on their own without a topper and they're all readily accessible via brick and mortar for the Turtle Wax and Amazon for the others.

Totally agree that the detailing market is blowing up like crazy. New products are coming out faster than I can add them to my test queue :). I've been sorting by requests count to hit the ones people ask about more to order the list!

As far as suggestions, if you're just getting back into things and want to try something that is somewhat traditional and not worry about complicated processes or exotic use cases; I would say Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3 is great. It would be similar to the Meguiars product, but I really like the performance it gives and it is very easy to use. If you want to shoot for more of a spray or newer generation product without going to something exotic; Turtle Wax Seal N Shine is a great all around product and very easy to use. If you want to take the plunge into coatings, Adam's Graphene Spray Coating is fairly forgiving. Any of these products would work great on their own without a topper and they're all readily accessible via brick and mortar for the Turtle Wax and Amazon for the others.
I’ve been watching some of your videos, and those Wolfgang products do seem pretty amazing!

I think I’ll order some of that Deep Gloss 3.

Thanks for all you do!

Back