WAWA gas sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just filled up a full tank of gas in my maxima and crunched some numbers.

Drove 251.5 miles stop n go on wawa gas and put in 13.915 gallons. That equaled about 18.1 mpg.

My prior fill was sunoco ,my car averaged 19.1 mpg and i did more vigorous driving.

I have always noticed this with wawa gas. Both my cars consume it faster and my kia hates it.

IM gonna do this with the current fill of wawa gas and see what mpg it will average.

not going to disagree but one tank and the almost impossibility of comparing two tanks with type of driving done makes it really tough to make any kind of comparison.

My VQ chugs gas no matter what. I usually run premium but ive started running regular. It just doesnt feel as beasty. The best I can get is close to 27mpg on the highway and even then I think the DTE gauge is full of [censored].

Originally Posted By: Spector
not going to disagree but one tank and the almost impossibility of comparing two tanks with type of driving done makes it really tough to make any kind of comparison.
im running another tank of wawa. if the same results come out than yeah, im gonna stick with my local sunoco. And its really not one tank of gas. Ran wawa for a month straight last year and my maxima got less mpg.

or to put it simply.

sunoco gas i can get 300-320 miles out of a full tank.

wawa 280-300. My full fill is 16.5 gallons when the gas light comes on or the dte gauge reads 30 miles left.

Last edited:
My experience with Wawa gas has been similar. Several people I know throughout the years have commented that their vehicles don't seem to run as well and mileage suffers.

Read this for the skinny on gasoline

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/277768/1

If Wawa's gas sucks, then there are probably 20 other retailers in the area who aren't Wawa selling the same stuff. There isn't a refinery or terminal of which they control the quality.

Quote:

When you get into unbranded gasolines you're in a "whole 'nother world." Unbranded gasoline can come from any terminal out there. It's the cheap gas of the day. This doesn't mean that the gas is no good, it simply means that if Conoco/Phillips has the best gasoline price of the day, it's a safe bet that's where your local Racetrack, Sheetz, Wilco/Hess, or fill in the blank got their fuel from.

Last edited:
I have noticed the same when I visit our offices in the New England area (fly to PHL and drive from there). WaWa is usually the cheapest, but in this case, you get what you pay for. I wonder if WaWa has more ethanol in it than the other stations in the area.

Only time I filled up with Wawa gas was last year on vacation in Maryland. My 2000 Accord got the best single tank mileage of the entire 2,700 mile trip (31.6 mpg) which beat the Exxon gas on the next fill up. Overall trip mpg was 29.7. To me this means all gas is essentially the same and a single tank test is meaningless.

Last edited:
When I had my Charger with the 3.5l I avoided BP. It didn't matter what station, what kind of driving, consecutive tanks, etc. I would get 1 to 2 mpg less than any other brand of gas. My Hemi and the 3.9l in the Monte have no gas favoritism however.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

If Wawa's gas sucks, then there are probably 20 other retailers in the area who aren't Wawa selling the same stuff. There isn't a refinery or terminal of which they control the quality.

When you get into unbranded gasolines you're in a "whole 'nother world." Unbranded gasoline can come from any terminal out there. It's the cheap gas of the day. This doesn't mean that the gas is no good, it simply means that if Conoco/Phillips has the best gasoline price of the day, it's a safe bet that's where your local Racetrack, Sheetz, Wilco/Hess, or fill in the blank got their fuel from.

Excellent answer. Even Walmart cannot make their own fuel, they just bring it in from the same terminal every other station in the area will use.

FWIW our fleet trucks almost always use Wawa and Racetrack. Both are SUPER busy, which is what we look for, and they are cheap as well...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
simple_gifts said:

Quote:

Excellent answer. Even Walmart cannot make their own fuel, they just bring it in from the same terminal every other station in the area will use.

There is a source of poor grade gas independent of the refineries. It's the intermix from the pipelines. When changing product in the line there is mixing of the product that has to be pulled out. It is sold dirt cheap and is usually bought and sent to a local mini refinery to separate it back into roughly the mix components, which would include diesel, the various octane gasolines, or anything else that was sent down the pipe line. The final product is variable in quality and is on the poor side, as it is not as pure as the originally refined product. Some discount stations sell this exclusively.

A friend in Reno who drove fuel delivery warned me which new to Reno chain was selling intermix and advised me to stay far, far away.

Ed

I never heard of this "intermix" product you speak of.
Seems like it could be potentially damaging to a cars fuel system, hard to believe that anyone would want to chance selling this stuff, have to think by law that a station must label a questionable product so that a consumer could avoid serious damage to their vehicle. Can you post a source for this product?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I never heard of this "intermix" product you speak of.
Seems like it could be potentially damaging to a cars fuel system, hard to believe that anyone would want to chance selling this stuff, have to think by law that a station must label a questionable product so that a consumer could avoid serious damage to their vehicle. Can you post a source for this product?

I don't believe it's typically used. It's supposed to be collected and sent back by truck to a refinery. If the fuel is really sensitive, they'll use inserts called "pigs" that keep the contents from mixing. Here's an explanation from API's consumer information site.

Quote:
http://www.adventuresinenergy.org/Refined-Product-Pipelines/Batch-Management.html

• Because a variety of refined products move through the same pipelines, some mixing occurs where the trailing end of a batch of one product meets the leading edge of the next batch of product in the line. If the two products are similar, such as different grades of gasoline, this "interface" can be incorporated into the lower-grade product.
  • When two dissimilar products, such as diesel fuel and gasoline, come into contact, the blended product is called "transmix." The transmix is collected separately, and then trucked back to a refinery for reprocessing.

In some cases, pipeline operators will separate especially sensitive products, such as jet fuel, from other pipeline contents using spherical plastic "pigs" to prevent transmix.

Apparently there are different kinds of pigs. Some are used for cleaning the pipelines, while spherical ones are usually to prevent intermix.

445px-Vol3_Page_384_Image_0001.png

Anyone remember the James Bond movie where a pipeline pig was how a military device was smuggled out of Russia? Or another Bond film where one of these things was used to smuggle a person?

247080-james-bond.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back