Waterproofing nubuck/suede shoe with silicone spray

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kid loves one specific shoe for winter use, esp. during school hours. Not too sure of the exact brand and the model (will post once home if necessary, looks similar to https://www.columbia.com/mens-elm-grove-moc-1553031.html) but the shoe is nubuck or suede leather type moc. He absolutely hates winter boots or any other type of shoes for winter. We have tried quite many different types. The problem is, this moc gets wet, esp toes when they play outdoor sometimes.

I was thinking of spraying silicone water-repelling spray on these shoes. I have Atsko Silicone Spray at hand. Wonder if anybody tried using it and if it really helps or just messes up the nubuck/suede leather.

I have been told in some cases the solvent carrier in the silicone sprays can damage the glue used to make the shoe. I have no proof and it has not happened to me. But for using the snow blower I have waterproof boots. They need no treatment.

It will change the look a little, but how about mink oil?

When I was 10 or 12 and went to Dunkin Donuts after my paper route, I walked through the back of the parking lot wearing what we called desert boots. I walked across what I thought was a pot hole filled with snow and ice (it was winter). But it was really old grease from cooking donuts. My boots sunk into this white grease. Boots were waterproof for the rest of the winter.

You're both overlooking something. Suede and Nubuck are both "premium" finishes and have no place in anyone's Winterwear.

Suede is brushed, therefore weakened, leather and Nubuck is imitation suede.

Neither will look like what you bought them for after you hose 'em down with a waterproofing spray.

Winter boots or shoes to trudge through the snow to get to and from school. Change shoes once in the building.

You wouldn't think of treating kid gloves to be snow shoveling gloves, would you?

Tell you kid to carry his pretty shoes to school.

Every water-proofing spray I've used left a white translucent film on the surface.

Originally Posted by Kira
...Suede is brushed, therefore weakened, leather and Nubuck is imitation suede.....

Leather is made from the outside of a hide that has been tanned, nubuck is sanded on the outer surface of the leather, while suede is made from the treated inside of the hide.

coffee2.gif

There is special silicone spray for waterproofing suede shoes. Will darken the finish a bit, but does a great job. Shoe stores and Walmart/target have it with the shoe polish section.

Thanks, everyone.

It's this shoe. https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Youth-Adventurer-Cassual-Moccasin/dp/B00PWRTVJM We have been buying one size up every year for the last 5 years. Now on size 6. He claims they fit best, yet warmer for a short walk that he does.

Our school district is very small and there is no bus service so all the kids go from door to door in the car. If they want, they can go in sneakers too but there is no warmth at all. With these shoes, he is comfortable for 20-30 steps that he takes to the car and to the school door. They have lockers in the school but the school strongly discourages leaving anything in those lockers (as there are no locks on them in the elementary school). Maybe next year when he goes to middle school, we will have the option of leaving an extra set in the locker.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
There is special silicone spray for waterproofing suede shoes. Will darken the finish a bit, but does a great job. Shoe stores and Walmart/target have it with the shoe polish section.

If I remember correctly, Scotchguard and Kiwi brands were in Walmart's shoe department, on the polish rack.

I had a similar question and my research led me to Scotchgard Suede and Nubuck Protector
https://www.scotchgard.com/3M/en_US/scotchgard/products/all-products/~/Scotchgard-Suede-Nubuck-Protector/?N=4340+3294466394+3294529207&rt=rud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back