Water Pump Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander 4 cyl that has about 145k miles on it. I want to get the water pump replaced as a precautionary measure to ensure it does not break down on my wife. I just replaced the serp belt not too long ago (about a year ago) and the local Toyo dealer quoted me $407 and change for the job, including parts and labor. I'm not sure how involved it is.. but I'd imagine it is. The price seems steep to me, but I think that it is beyond my skill set.

I have an aftermarket pump (Gates 41179) sitting in the garage and I'm guessing that it won't last as long as the OEM pump, or I could be wrong. Anyone know who makes the OEM pumps? What would you do?

Gates pumps are made in China, so...

If the OEM pump is not showing any signs of going south, mainly weeping coolant out of the weep hole, I'd leave it alone.

If you do nothing else put the pump in the trunk. Then if it breaks down the mechanic will at least have the part.

If it runs off a timing belt it'll be more work than if it runs off the serpentine.

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander 4 cyl that has about 145k miles on it. I want to get the water pump replaced as a precautionary measure to ensure it does not break down on my wife.

If it "breaks down" it will leak LONG before it fails outright. The drips on the driveway will give you ample warning of impending failure. You will have months to act on the problem.

You want to make sure your wife has a reliable cooling system? Then maintain the cooling system with all OEM parts (including the coolant and thermostat!) as often as the manual says, or more often than that.

Whatever you do, do NOT replace your OE water pump with that aftermarket garbage.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander 4 cyl that has about 145k miles on it. I want to get the water pump replaced as a precautionary measure to ensure it does not break down on my wife.

If it "breaks down" it will leak LONG before it fails outright. The drips on the driveway will give you ample warning of impending failure. You will have months to act on the problem.

You want to make sure your wife has a reliable cooling system? Then maintain the cooling system with all OEM parts (including the coolant and thermostat!) as often as the manual says, or more often than that.

Whatever you do, do NOT replace your OE water pump with that aftermarket garbage.

+1, especially in regards to using OE.

I replaced the OEM water pump in my Dakota at 142,000 miles. There was nothing really wrong with it but it did have just a bit of play in the pulley shaft so I replaced it as a proactive and preventative measure. If your pulley shaft wiggles at all I would say replace it. If not, then it will leak out the weep hole when the seal finally does go bad, which may give you ample warning to replace the pump.

I replaced my water pump with a Duralast water pump from Auto Zone. It was built right here at home in the U.S. of A and it even said "Exported to Mexico" on the box. It only cost $56.00 and has a lifetime warranty. It has been on my truck over two years now, and I have had absolutely no trouble with it at all. Not all aftermarket parts are junk, and not all aftermarket parts are made overseas. I do a lot of research when I need parts and I try very hard to buy American when it is possible.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190

I replaced my water pump with a Duralast water pump from Auto Zone. It was built right here at home in the U.S. of A and it even said "Exported to Mexico" on the box. It only cost $56.00 and has a lifetime warranty. It has been on my truck over two years now, and I have had absolutely no trouble with it at all. Not all aftermarket parts are junk, and not all aftermarket parts are made overseas. I do a lot of research when I need parts and I try very hard to buy American when it is possible.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to judge part quality by the country of origin. Not all parts made in America are great, and not all parts made offshore are bad either. Generally speaking, the OE part will be built to a higher standard than the aftermarket part. There may be few visual differences, but the true test will be the actual service life of the part. Since this is impossible to know, the OE part is generally the best choice unless the owner is willing to take the risk of premature part replacements.

I recently replaced the water pump on my Nissan. I would agree that I would not install a Gates water pump. The ones I've read about here seem to be white box Chinese parts.

I chose not to go OE on my Nissan, but instead premium aftermarket. I went with Aisin, an OE supplier of water pumps and other parts. It was made in Japan and is working great. I bought it from Worldpac for about $57. An OE pump from Courtesy Parts would have been about $90.

I'm comfortable going aftermarket if it's a high-end brand that has a good reputation, and if it's made in a first-world country. This Aisin meets all those specs to a "T".

Don't they normally do the water pump as part of a timing belt job?

As has been stated, water pumps typically weep coolant before they give out.

What drives your water pump?

I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander 4 cyl that has about 145k miles on it. I want to get the water pump replaced as a precautionary measure to ensure it does not break down on my wife. What would you do?

Nothing. I have had 5 Toyotas. One WP started weeping at 62000. Dealer replaced it and serp belt for $360.00. All the others have gone 80k, 180k, 165k and 23k so far. Just change out the coolant to keep new additives in the system. I only use the Toyota Long Life Pre-Mixed coolant and change 1 gallon out every 50,000 miles. I have very few cooling system problems for the $25 every 50k. You Wp might go 250k or even 300k as many do. You will notice the coolant level in the bottle go down over a month when it starts weeping. But if it aint broke...

Last edited:
The price seems steep to me, but I think that it is beyond my skill set.

Pay the $16.95 for a year's subscription of Alldata. If the instructions sound like
something you're capable of doing, then the Alldata subscription paid for itself.

I don't see the value in going too preventative on your maintenance.

What about the battery? Trans? Tires? Some electronic do-dad?
Why single out just the water pump for early replacement?
Might as well buy a lotto ticket.

Wait for it to tell you (weep) that its time for a replacement.
Its 2013, everyone over 10 has a cell phone. "Breakdowns" are rare and inconvenient now-a-days.

Gates water pumps are excellent and a good value. I have used 3 in my own personal projects with no issues yet. Aisin is also another excellent brand.

While they are in there, you should get the timing belt and tensioners replaced at the same time, i'm very surprised they did not mention this to you.

water pumps are difficult to predict. I've seen them fail at 60k. I've seen them last past 200k. my toyota pump failed at 80k. most of the time they do give warning by either starting to leak at the weep hole, or the shaft starting to get play in it. mine gave me months of warning by squeeking. I just did not realize the source of the squeek initially. (I thought it was the belt squeeking. you never go wrong with OE - although I used a GYB pump.

For 04 highlander 4cyl (most likely a 2AZ-FE), shop around for an Aisin replacement pump and don't settle for anything less.

I already bought/stocked up on 1 extra Aisin pump for my wifey's camry 2AZ-FE, and so far, no need of replacement yet (car has clocked over 163k on original Toy LLC coolant, which will be drained and refilled this summer).

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest

I already bought/stocked up on 1 extra Aisin pump for my wifey's camry 2AZ-FE, and so far, no need of replacement yet (car has clocked over 163k on original Toy LLC coolant, which will be drained and refilled this summer).

Q.

You know that pump will still be on your shelf when the vehicle is no longer yours.

I have a 2004 Toyota Highlander 4 cyl that has about 145k miles on it. I want to get the water pump replaced as a precautionary measure to ensure it does not break down on my wife. I just replaced the serp belt not too long ago (about a year ago) and the local Toyo dealer quoted me $407 and change for the job, including parts and labor. I'm not sure how involved it is.. but I'd imagine it is. The price seems steep to me, but I think that it is beyond my skill set.

I have an aftermarket pump (Gates 41179) sitting in the garage and I'm guessing that it won't last as long as the OEM pump, or I could be wrong. Anyone know who makes the OEM pumps? What would you do?

MysticGold,

With the mileage you have on your Highlander I'd have it changed. Since you went 145K on it already you'll know that the next water pump should last you at least that long.

When I had my 89' Camry with a 4 cylinder motor they advised me that the water pump should be changed when the new serpentine belt is installed.

Since you have an non-OEM pump I'd go ahead and have your Toyo dealership install it. My dealership during that time was pretty flexible and so perhaps yours might be as well. I can't say who actually makes the Toyo brands but most likely they're made in Japan and exported over here in the US. That why they're expensive cuz of the import taxes that must be paid.

Durango

Maybe throw the Gates pump you already have in the trunk as eljefino suggested, but I wouldn't bother with replacing the OE one until it shows signs of impending failure. They typically give plenty of warning. Many other things are just as likely to go at that age/miles, like your radiator, alternator, starter, any number of sensors, the transmission, etc. Maybe none will go in the near future at all.

I do see a benefit in changing the WP with the TB just to avoid all the labor if the old pump happens to go, but otherwise, use it until it shows signs of problems.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. It is a 2AZ engine, so no timing belt, and the pump is turned from the serp belt. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point - I did do a drain/fill with Zerex Asian last year - I should do it again, actually. So far I haven't noticed any leaking from the pump and the level in the overflow has not changed.

I keep most everything up to snuff on this car since it is my wife's car and transports the kids around.

New Iridium spark plugs/new PCV at 90k.
New Serp belt went on last year.
New battery 6 mos ago
Changed both O2 sensors last year (upstream/downstream)
I do a drain/fill of the Trans every oil change (6mos)
Just put 2 new tires on last week, put 2 new tires on about 6 mos ago.
drain/fill power steering pump every oil change (6mos)
Just changed rear brake pads.

**I am planning a trip up to Eastern Washington in July. Hopefully she'll make it just fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back