Water pump question

I recently ordered a water pump for my 2014 F150 3.5L Ecoboost. I know I ordered the correct pump, and the packing slip that came in the box had the correct number, but I believe the company made a mistake and sent me a pump for a non-turbo 3.7L. The only visible difference between the two pumps is the impeller. The 3.7 pump bolts to 3.5L without issue. The bottom pump is the factory installed pump, top is the new pump:
7891245E-1861-4B37-81E9-DC527D5C5560.jpeg

I have had multiple people tell me the new pump impeller would be higher flow. This includes a guy who builds turbochargers, Evans Coolant tech support, and a white paper I was looking through about impeller vane angle 😂

So what is everyone’s thoughts, will the new pump supply more flow and do you see any downsides?

Doesn't look the same to me. Might want to call the dealer parts department, see if there was an iteration. Otherwise, reorder.

I'm no fluid dynamics expert but if swapping a 5 blade cooling fan for a 9 blade fan (of the same diamter) increases the airflow, than having a water pump with a few more impeller blades should bump up the flow a little. But it is pretty common for companies to make their water pumps slightly different than the stock design, like swapping in metal impeller blades for plastic ones that like to break (like in some VW's and Chrysler's).

Or that is just a new design for another motor that needed the extra flow and they decided to cover two parts with once since the newer motor needed more flow and the older motors aren't hurt by having the extra capacity.

You sure there wasn’t a revision change to the part?

How do you know the new pump is for the 3.7 NA?

The area you have covered by the other component does not look machined the same? did this thing bypass a couple steps in the process or is that some sort of optical illusion?

What is the p/n on the box versus any casting number on the part?
BR3E-8501-NA is what was printed on the pump itself but I think this may be an engineering number. I couldnt find anything with this number specifically but the 3.7L Pump is BR3E-8501-N
Doesn't look the same to me. Might want to call the dealer parts department, see if there was an iteration. Otherwise, reorder.
Its not the same. The impeller is different. I called the parts site I ordered it from(a Ford dealer in NV) and they "confirmed" it was right but I don't think they really know.
Or that is just a new design for another motor that needed the extra flow and they decided to cover two parts with once since the newer motor needed more flow and the older motors aren't hurt by having the extra capacity.

Its possible but the pump I actually ordered looks to have the same impeller as my factory pump in pictures I found on the internet. This new pump that I actually received does not. I am just curious what people think the different impeller design equates to. More flow?

You sure there wasn’t a revision change to the part?

How do you know the new pump is for the 3.7 NA?
There was an updated pump for the 3.5L. They changed from a 4 bolt pulley to a 3 bolt pulley and new part number is ER3Z-8501-C or Motorcraft PW569, which is what I ordered. All the pictures I have seen of this pump seem to have the same impeller as my factory pump.
The area you have covered by the other component does not look machined the same? did this thing bypass a couple steps in the process or is that some sort of optical illusion?

It is an optical illusion I think. The factory pump has some staining between the impeller and the upper hole where it kinda looks like it was machined out, but it is not. The water enters through that upper hole, then travels through a passage/valley in the front of the block down to the impeller. The water then enters the engine through the lower hole. Both pumps were the same in this regard.

I also have the gasket covering the upper hole on the new pump. It looks identical. The new pump bolted to the engine exactly the same as the old one and I have been driving with it, so it works just fine. I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on what the different impeller design would do.

You are correct on the engineering number. Ford generally does not put part numbers on their parts, and we have to cross the engineering number to a part number with our catalog. The 4 vs 3 bolt thing is confusing for sure. On the Coyote engines you have to buy the pulley separately. I'm debating doing the pump on my Mustang preepmtively since it is so easy on them and I will be at 60K miles soon.

Honestly, I don’t think it’s going to create much of a difference with the impeller (at least not anything noticeable). Maybe a slightly tighter turbulence. Maybe smoother flow? I imagine the aftermarket brand did what all aftermarket companies tend to do...go to the lowest bidder for components and it just so happens that the impeller actually looks better than the original.

Honestly, I don’t think it’s going to create much of a difference with the impeller (at least not anything noticeable). Maybe a slightly tighter turbulence. Maybe smoother flow? I imagine the aftermarket brand did what all aftermarket companies tend to do...go to the lowest bidder for components and it just so happens that the impeller actually looks better than the original.

This is a Motorcraft/Ford part.

I tend to agree with your findings. Rock auto has a bunch of pictures of a bunch of pumps and only the 3.7 has that larger blade impeller. It's possible the 3.7 pump was misboxed in the 3.5 box.

Back