Watch Out, Lexus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sw99
Originally Posted By: ADFD1
No disrespect to Hyundai owners, but its a Hyundai, I'd never pay $50,000 for one.

That is a very naive response...

In your opinion, maybe, in mine, I'd never pay $50K for a Hyundai. To each his own.

AD

I think the company is up and coming, but would own a Ford, Chevy, Chrysler/Jeep, Honda, Toyota, over a Hyundai any day of the week. JMO But maybe selling Kia products swayed me away from them.

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
No disrespect to Hyundai owners, but its a Hyundai, I'd never pay $50,000 for one.

so are you one of those people that buys luxury cars for the purely psychological aspect of it? :p

No not at all. I agree with GMboy, and feel that Hyundai has the cheap throw away image. That is how I view their cars, it stuck in my head. Not bashing them just voicing my opinion.

Hyundai currently has the highest average factory incentives for new cars of any automaker sold in North America. The product is excellent but at certain price points it can take a long time to develop a strong group of consumers that want your product. The Corvette is by far the most expensive Chevrolet and can exceed 100K, but due to it's fanastic performance, value and history, the car does ok. Lexus only succeeded when it began in 1989 because Toyota had a very good reputation at the time and the car market was decent then. Hyundai is going to have it tough for a few more years and then they should be up there with Toyota and Honda.

Hyundai's resale will be stale compared to Japanese makes.
The average v8 RWD purchaser isn't going to buy a 50,000 Hyundai anyway

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander

so are you one of those people that buys luxury cars for the purely psychological aspect of it? :p

No not at all. I agree with GMboy, and feel that Hyundai has the cheap throw away image. That is how I view their cars, it stuck in my head. Not bashing them just voicing my opinion.

Why thank you. To add to your (our) opinion - think of it like this: GM has a bad rep for quality for things done in the past yet some people still can't get past that and see the good in GM. Same for Toyota - they had good quality and have slipped a bit lately yet the quality image is stuck in people's mind. Hyundai started cheap and that's what most people today associate them with. Images are hard to change, it takes time. For my hard earned money - a 50k car is NOT going to be a Hyundai. You take a Benz or Cadillac or Lexus to a dealer who caters to you. Go to a Hyundai dealer and your surrounded by 10k cars and the service attitude that goes with it.

Well GMBoy you can add me to the list of people who agree with you too. Hyundai makes good cheap cars, they day they see $50,000 of my money, hellllllllllll will probably have its first ice storm.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I was at the Javits Center a couple of days ago and the 'crowds' were much smaller than in the past....

That's probably because the show only opened to the public Friday the 10th.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Well GMBoy you can add me to the list of people who agree with you too. Hyundai makes good cheap cars, they day they see $50,000 of my money, hellllllllllll will probably have its first ice storm.

Tell us more about your poor experience with selling Kias.

If they're having trouble changing public perception, Hyundai can spawn a luxury division. Or they can do what Datsun did: change their name to Nissan.

I suspect they will spawn their own Lexus division someday. Hyundai has too many models in their lineup

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Tell us more about your poor experience with selling Kias.

I started selling KIA's and Suzuki's April 2001, new and used. As a side note I was the top Kia/Suzuki seller in NE USA after about 5 months, and retained that title until I left them. Anyway we had about 15 1999 Kia Sportages on the lot for sale in the used car department. They had anywhere from about 20,000-40,000 miles on them and at the time, and were on par with an American car, Honda, or Toyota that had over 100,000 miles on them. They were noisy, tin like, difficult to shift into and out of 4 WD, tires worn uneven, interior seats were opening up at seams, and in general worn beyond what the mileage would indicate. After they were sold many came back with oil leaks, tranny leaks, oil consumption, check engine lights coming on, and a host of other annoying problems. Each time the car came in for repairs the salesman would be charged back 20% of the repair.

The new ones were fair, but came in for adjustments, leaking windshields, minor electrical issues, engine oil leaks, noise issues, wandering while driven, check engine light coming on, several times, and some other problems. Suzuki's had had way less repair issues. For every 5 Kia's that came back maybe 1 Suzuki would come in. I used the Suzuki's to sell the Kia. Take someone for a ride in a Sportage, sell a Grand Vitara to them. I left Kia in 2002 (I think) and started selling Honda's. They had a few very minor issues, but were an easy sell compared to Kia/Suzuki. We got a lot of complaints about the Sportage's mpg's, people thought a small 4 cyl 4x4 would get good gas mileage, when in reality it was a little pig. Another common complaint was the distance it took for them to stop, especially at highway speeds. If they were involved in a crash, they came out on the short end of the stick too.

When the Sedona mini van came out it was to compete with the Honda Odyssey, (what a joke). I was told by the service manager that there was some kind of internal corporate recall on the engines. They were instructed to run them at 5000 rpms for 30 minutes before they delivered them. If the engine blew in the 30 minute time period the van was not to be delivered, the engine was deemed bad. We had about 2 of them come back after throwing a rod, Kia made good on all repairs. They quickly addressed the problem, and the 30 minute test stopped.

I realize the product has improved 10 fold since them, but they are still thought of as cheap cars, and it will be hard to change how the majority of the public views them.

I've long since stopped selling cars, but remember all the little tricks the dealerships use in their various departments. I don't trust them much at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
This is a little off topic , but I saw this on ABC Nightline the other day about Hyundai and its success over the past decade. Maybe the big 3 can learn something from Hyundai.

I watched that piece as it aired. Nothing about what they're doing is particularly innovative. In fact, much of it has already been put into practice long ago by others such as Honda and Toyota.

I have little doubt Hyundai will eventually be a viable competitor in some more upscale segments, but the Korean management seems to want too much too soon.

I'll buy it for $11k after the initial depreciation hit. Hyundai does not hold its value.

I think they will have a hard time toppling the Lexus ES350 which is a high luxury Camry. We are in one for under $34k and it is falwless. V6 that gets 26/30 on 87 octane and all the smooth ride and luxury of a Lexus with the Lexus service & warranty. Some people have bought them this year for $32k. Plus the car holds it's value. Tough to beat IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back