Watch out for flying truck beds

I bought my 1999 F250 SD 7.3 early build 9-98 the new body, it was all new so a few recalls ok. One of the recalls was if a somewhat minor crash the bed would come off the truck frame. So the fix was to bolt and cable the bed to the frame, guess what all those cables rusted away to nothing a few years ago I suppose stainless steel cable would coast to much to keep the bed on. The truck has been very good to me and I still own it 6 inch lift 35s 7.3 mods you get it just watch that bed flying off. PS the bed crossmembers are pretty rusty I have new ones but have not tackled that job yet. Any body from ford care, who is responsible if you get hit with a flying bed.

I've seen those cables on Super Duty cabs as well....As bad as Ford Super Duty cab mounts are....Probably not a bad idea.
Not sure of Fords liability on a 20+ year old truck that been lifted & has corrosion....My guess would be none?

I've seen those cables on Super Duty cabs as well....As bad as Ford Super Duty cab mounts are....Probably not a bad idea.
Not sure of Fords liability on a 20+ year old truck that been lifted & has corrosion....My guess would be none?
My FIL has owned quite a few super duty trucks for very severe hauling duty in the Caribbean. The body mounts always fail routinely. The beds have been ok… even after being beat on with heavy loads, salt air, etc.

Seems like I read one time that if there is an official recall, that repair is basically warrantied for the life of the vehicle. Can anyone confirm that, or am I imagining it? Any input @bdcardinal ?

Owner's liability insurance would cover any damage or injuries caused by it to others.
I understand this is true under normal circumstances, if the vehicle is kept in road-worthy condition. But if there is a recall that the owner did not complete (may/may not be the situation here), or if there is excessive corrosion to critical hardware parts (which could be reasonably interpreted as neglect), I'm not so sure the liability policy will cover resulting damage & injuries. Of course I'm speculating but my mind says this is sound reasoning LOL.

I understand this is true under normal circumstances, if the vehicle is kept in road-worthy condition. But if there is a recall that the owner did not complete (may/may not be the situation here), or if there is excessive corrosion to critical hardware parts (which could be reasonably interpreted as neglect), I'm not so sure the liability policy will cover resulting damage & injuries. Of course I'm speculating but my mind says this is sound reasoning LOL.
There was post here a few weeks ago about how some insurance companies won't insure a 1 year rebuilt salvage car, yet they have no problem insuring a 20 year old rustbucket on it's last legs. Ironic. Far as I now there isn't any maintenance requirement for insurance liability coverage to be in force. The brake pedal might go to the floor every time you stop, but unless you deliberately crash, the insurance company can't reject the claim from someone you hit. You may be cancelled afterwards, but they are obligated to pay off.

No neglect I have spent many hours under this truck ,needle scaler, and paint really in good condition ,but the one crossmember over top of the rear tires is done, already did the cab corners, its a ford truck .yea they installed the cables threw the bed and frame. Yes I know no one keeps a truck for 22 years . And I am sure they would say the bed flew off because its lifted 6" wouldn't make a difference, but Ford has a lot better law department then me. That is sound reasoning, but its not right but I am sure I would lose if I had to go to court Ford has been pretty good at this game for a long time( Pinto kaboom ).

Seems like I read one time that if there is an official recall, that repair is basically warrantied for the life of the vehicle. Can anyone confirm that, or am I imagining it? Any input @bdcardinal ?
I was not at Ford when that would have been done. @Slick Rick if you shoot me the last 8 of your VIN I can run an OASIS and see what it says. Sorry its been a little hectic lately. I am the Parts Manager now against my will until I either die or they find someone better, and they aren't looking.

I was not at Ford when that would have been done. @Slick Rick if you shoot me the last 8 of your VIN I can run an OASIS and see what it says. Sorry its been a little hectic lately. I am the Parts Manager now against my will until I either die or they find someone better, and they aren't looking.
XEC09414 WOW thank you I for sure thought no one would care

The recall number was 99S11, it was a one time repair. These are the numbers installed on your truck. They are both still available.
F81Z-9A135-AA is the bracket part number
XC3Z-9900038-BA is the cable kit part number.

Attachments

• R99S11.pdf
    365.4 KB · Views: 11
The recall number was 99S11, it was a one time repair. These are the numbers installed on your truck. They are both still available.
F81Z-9A135-AA is the bracket part number
XC3Z-9900038-BA is the cable kit part number.
I am always the driver I am insured but if the bed fly's off like in a crash and someone was killed. because of it. The insurance company would pay. But in todays world they could get to me in about 15mins( SUE ME ) Ford would never pay a dime .the parts are available I have to buy them this time for there mistake (Junk) did not last the first ,time Ford knows its a problem. Again IT wasn't never made to be a one owner over 22 years old truck, statistically. Thank you for giving it a shot at least and some good info about this. I did just well 2 years ago buy a striped 2019 Raptor sticker price$61.000 I bought the 1999 Super duty I ordered it my way of course the 7.3 kinda going over now (repainting from the oil pan down again) nothing like being A return customer. I Don't have another 20 don't you worry Ford, on that Raptor I must say all that plastic there's no way that plastic is going to last 20 years just think if you live where it is cold real cold take another 5 off that My raptor has plastic louvers covering the Radiator and another set independent of each other covering the inner cooler. How many snowy winters is that going to work be fore most and both are just all wired full open I don't know but its all plastic ever work on old plastic not good I do love the truck (both) does back fire almost every time I fill it with fuel first time pump stops too no overfilling ? thats the only time it does that I can deal with just strange 2019? Sorry about all this I drank A redbull. Thanks again

Back