Wasting money on full synthetic for an engine that calls for conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess in many ways it's not really a choice any more with manufacturer specific standards (like dexos) or where 0W-20 can only be met by a semi-synthetic.

However, as a general choice I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with using what's labelled as a "conventional" oil in an older car where something like 5W-20 or 5W-30 is specified. There are still plenty of options, although shelf space is already changing. I still like Chevron Supreme, which is cheaper than anything else out there in the 5W-20 weight I use.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I use high mileage oil because my engine has 130K miles. Should you not use HM oil if you have high mileage??

Define "high mileage".

Castrol recommends their high-mileage engine oil for our son's '12 Accord. For my '08 Infiniti, they do not.... or didn't.... Just checked and now they do - must be a recent change. Checking some other models, it looks like '12 and older they're recommending HM oil.

Thanks guys. I do have a VCM motor (EX-L) but an 82 ohm resistor fixes that so pretty much no more VCM for me. I use high mileage oil because my engine has 130K miles. Should you not use HM oil if you have high mileage??

Why? Unless there's a specific issue that a HM oil is supposed to address, why bother? If it's no leaking, why mess with what's working if it's something that doesn't claim to be high mileage?

I remember the first HM oil was the original Valvoline MaxLife. It didn't even have any API certifications. Supposedly they were doing a few things that prevented getting those certifications. But I look at today's HM oils and see they have all the API certs needed for new cars and I can't even figure out what they're trying to address.

Am I wasting money on full synthetic?

Probably.

If you start pulling a camper around on hot days through the mountains, I'd run synthetic.

Otherwise, maybe in the winter only for better cold flow - but go longer than the factory oil monitor says to

Thanks guys. I think based on the replies, I'll stick with supertech 5w20 full syn since it's so cheap. Maybe if they ever stock any of those new boxes of Havoline, I'll try that stuff.

Thanks guys. I think based on the replies, I'll stick with supertech 5w20 full syn since it's so cheap. Maybe if they ever stock any of those new boxes of Havoline, I'll try that stuff.

Walmart.com has the boxes.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Am I wasting money on full synthetic?

Probably.

If you start pulling a camper around on hot days through the mountains, I'd run synthetic.

Otherwise, maybe in the winter only for better cold flow - but go longer than the factory oil monitor says to

Yes LOL you could probably get some conventional a $1 cheaper that might be good for a 5K OCI. The full synthetic will go 7K and not blink.

Originally Posted by dlundblad

Walmart.com has the boxes.

5w20 syn blend is oos and I don't even see full syn 5w20

I think it's a good idea to stick with the Super Tech, just this week someone brought up the point that Honda was having some sludge issues with the 3.5's when using conventional 5w20 going off the oil life monitor.

Originally Posted by Railrust
I think it's a good idea to stick with the Super Tech, just this week someone brought up the point that Honda was having some sludge issues with the 3.5's when using conventional 5w20 going off the oil life monitor.

I agree! Synthetic handles engine heat better and cold flow, on engines that barely ever get hot for the drive to & from work..

Last edited:
How many of you are old enough or remember back in the day when well maintained engines were going 150K and more on reg Dino oils and for sure no HM oils available at that time. I think sometimes we all get a little wrapped up in over thinking what's good, bad or just perfect for the engine and application. Use a good quality oil and change it on a regular basis and all should be fine.

Neither is the oil we pour into em
Both engines and motor oil improved

Last edited:
Why do people waste money on ST syn or conventional when you can buy PP and M1 for less using rebates?

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Neither is the oil we pour into em
Both engines and motor oil improved

I recall a few members telling me motor oil in the 80's wasn't the best also
wink.gif

Originally Posted by hatt
Why do people waste money on ST syn or conventional when you can buy PP and M1 for less using rebates?

Darn good question. Part of the answer is when "some companies" don't give folks their rebates when they do things to the exact letter

Originally Posted by hatt

Time = money. What can it really save vs 5 quarts of full synthetic for $15.87

Originally Posted by kstanf150
How many of you are old enough or remember back in the day when well maintained engines were going 150K and more on reg Dino oils and for sure no HM oils available at that time. I think sometimes we all get a little wrapped up in over thinking what's good, bad or just perfect for the engine and application. Use a good quality oil and change it on a regular basis and all should be fine.

Post of the thread

I only recently in last couple of years ago ran Synthetic and that was cause it was a GM. I no longer own it but didn't notice anything different between conventional oil for 25k or Synthetic for 30k before I got rid of it with the exception of oil leaked at the end. Only had a couple of engine failures in 40 years with none because of oil. I have run cars hard as well as easy. I am running synthetic blend 5w20 in my Caravan cause of sale but plan on running Conventional and now it is a blend. The Dodge even came from factory with Conventional.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Yeah 0.85 cents a quart for full synthetic is a total waste of money

That's not an everyday price. That's a once a year, get it while it's hot deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back