Warning message (oil needs changing)

Question: Why does my car believe that the oil needs changing?

I am in the UK (which is irrelevant). I own a Porsche Macan S which was built for me to my spec. It is now 13 months old and done 5,000 miles. The manufacturers suggested service is 2 years or 20,000 miles. About a month back a message appeared on the screen saying that the oil will need changing in the next 30 days or 15,000 miles which ever is soonest. I called the dealer and they say, "depending on how the car is driven it may need and early oil change." I drive this car and I drive it carefully (and slowly).

My question is this . . . if the car has some clever way of knowing that the oil has degraded and needs changing how come it would be good enough to get through 15,000 miles in a month?

Clearly something in the car's setup was configured to trigger this message. That could simply be a clock ticking off so many days, or it could be some device that measures how many times the ignition goes on/off. What is it?

Last edited:
There some ways to do it, like base on mileage, some kind of sensor that tracks oil clarity or color. You can also measure moisture or other physical properties from the oil.

The system is likely using the average speed as a data point. Going slow and easy might tell it that the conditions are severe as in mostly city driving, stop and go, etc.

If you took her out on the motorway regularly I will bet you would see the service interval extend longer.

I'm betting that 2yr/20k mile OCI is for normal driving. I'm sure the car knows how few miles you've driven over a year's time which is not good for the oil (crankcase condensation rarely gets burned off) so the computer has now bumped you down to a severe service OCI and halved the recommended OCI. You said it starting complaining a month ago which would be 12 months makes sense, right?

Suggestions:
  • Do what the computer tells you to do
  • Drive it more often
  • Sell it

I asked . . . "if I drain the oil and put in new oil will the clever sensors recognise that it is new oil and switch off the warning?"

Answer "no"

OK, next question . . .

I asked . . . "If you switch off the message, will the clever sensor check the oil, recognise that it still needs changing and switch the warning back on?"

Hmmmmm ?

I'm betting that 2yr/20k mile OCI is for normal driving. I'm sure the car knows how few miles you've driven over a year's time which is not good for the oil (crankcase condensation rarely gets burned off) so the computer has now bumped you down to a severe service OCI and halved the recommended OCI.
OK but . . . . . . if the car has some clever way of knowing that the oil has degraded and needs changing how come it would be good enough for me to drive 15,000 miles in the outstanding 30 days? Warning message . . 'Oil will need changing in the next 30 days or 15,000 miles which ever is soonest'

OK, next question . . .

I asked . . . "If you switch off the message, will the clever sensor check the oil, recognise that it still needs changing and switch the warning back on?"

Hmmmmm ?
I'm not clear what your point is here? Did you make a new ID and come on to argue about whether your oil needs changing or did you have a legitimate question about how the Porsche OLM works? If it is the latter you can find out some of that by searching online.

Also are you resetting the reminder yourself?

I'm not clear what your point is here? Did you make a new ID and come on to argue about whether your oil needs changing or did you have a legitimate question about how the Porsche OLM works? If it is the latter you can find out some of that by searching online.

Also are you resetting the reminder yourself?

We still do not know the year and model of this Porsche. Seems to be a mystery.

Manufacturer's suggested service is assuming perfect operating conditions, which aren't achievable for 99% of the general public. Moderate temperatures, always driving at a constant speed, few heat cycles and no short trips would extend the time & mileage. If you spend your time driving back and forth across the country at a constant 60mph, never shutting it down, and never "gunning it", you could get 20,000 miles out of your oil before the car begins to chirp at you. But since little or none of this applies to your circumstances, expect to change your oil earlier. Speaking for myself, I'd die of dehydration from night sweats if I tried to go 20,000 miles on the same oil.

You spent a small fortune (IMO) to buy the car. Open that wallet and change the oil.

The reason I asked the question is because (call me odd but) if I think I am being 'shafted' I find it difficult to just lay back and take it.
The reason I posted this question on this forum is because it is because it is a forum about oil.
AND
I thought someone on here might know (not guess) why the car triggered the change oil notice.

Forgive me if my posts look (to some) provocative I am simply trying to get answers that make sense.

In this instance Porsche would want the equivalent of $500 to change the oil. If that needs doing and that's what it costs I will pay it but I would like (if possible) some evidence. I have had a new car every 3 years for the past 20 years and all have been driven the same and I have never had this before.

To the question - will I be switch off the warning - answer 'no' . . . I would know how to do it and I would risk voiding the warranty

Changing the oil then telling the computer you've done so will not void the warranty, no.

NOT changing the oil when the computer tells you to probably will so just do it.

In still trying to wrap my head around bought a Porsche and drive it slowly and 20,000 mile oci on a high performance engine.

Representatives from Porsche come to your vehicle in the middle of the night every few days and check the oil and if they feel it needs changing they set ON the OLM light. If you had purchased the optional oil change package the Porsche representative would have just changed the oil in the middle of the night also.

The OLM hit 12 months and prompted a change, regardless of miles. Take it to the dealer and ask them why it happened at 12 months instead of 24 months, then have them change the oil, if necessary. Calling the dealer service department and asking would yield better results than the random speculation here.

Back