WalMart Super Tech 15/40....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not...? Been using Mobile Delvac/1300 in my 7.3 (non turbo) forever but thinking of switching to the SuperTech 15/40.
Any idea who makes it?

Yah, I think putting $.84 oil in a $45,000 dollar truck with a $10,000 engine makes perfect sense? Not!!! Why cheap out with something as cheap as conventional oil. Delvac and Delo are cheap enough!

For the actual cost difference, I don't think I would use Wally oil in a lawn mower....but, I won't go to the other extreme and use the expensive synthetic either....Mobil 15w40 is good and what I use...$6.36 a gallon at Walmart

There's a UOA somewhere where a guy ran it in his boat and it turned out horrible. One couldn't quite judge an injected modern vehicle, gas or diesel, by that, but still...

quote:

Originally posted by dr-herzog:
....Mobil 15w40 is good and what I use...$6.36 a gallon at Walmart

Actually my local Walmart is now selling it for close to $8.00 a gallon!
And I'll continue to use the Mobil 1300
cool.gif

I ran into a design engineer several years back. He designed a thin film evaporator that "cleaned up" used oil. The cleaned up oil was sold to companies like WalMart (he specifically mentioned WalMart as being one of the resellers of teh used oil). I would stay away from it.

my dad used supertech 15w40 in his 91 cummins for the entire time he owned it, about 50000 miles, and changed it every 5000 miles with a fram (ewww) filter. never a problem with the engine. water pump on the other hand, we broke a couple of those, dont know why.

that would be a nice thing to see. too bad most truckers probably dont truck $1/qt oil in their rigs.

quote:

^^^ Are you kidding me? I know 2 truckers and they told me they use the cheapest thing they could find.

While there are cheap truckers out there, I'm an Owner/Operator and have many owner/operator friends and we don't want to take the chance of ruining our income to cheap oil.

Hammer

If it's like the Supertech passenger car motor oil, people *want* the cheaper product to not be as good as the mid-line or top of the line product...
but the truth is, we've never seen evidence that Supertech PCMO products create more wear or fail more quickly than any other conventional PCMO.
I'll note that Supertech HDEO is substantially more expensive than Supertech PCMO, which leads me to believe they have the budget needed to put genuine HDEO-level additive levels in.

This is the case of do you need a lubricant that is "super-good", "pretty good", or "good-enough". In all cases you need one which is good-enough for your use and application. For a majority of normally driven engines the ST meets the good enough requirement and probably falls in the pretty-good catagory.

If the SuperTech oil did not meet the different classifications they list on their oil bottle....they would have quite a liability on their hands. If any oil meets the specs to qualify for a given classification, it should be good enough to run. Now, long OCI's are a different story(
grin.gif
))

Super Tech or any other oil MUST pass the same API tests to be certified in a category such as the ST diesel oil.

If the ST oil has the API certification,it meets the engine manufacturers qualifications.

Spending more on a product doesnt mean that you are getting a better product but may only be the cost of advertising and the name on the bottle.

ST has been reported to be made by Shell,XOM and Warren Performance Products.

As far as the rumor that ST is used oil,that just doesnt sound right.

Here is the website of WPP: www.warrendistribution.com

If it was,it still has to be refined just as crude oil does before it can be bottled and used.

It still has to meet the same API specifications that any other oil does.

All oils that have the API certification must pass the API standards,cheap or expensive.

It isnt just a bottle of used oil that has been filtered.

The American Petroleum Institute(API)would not allow such to go on.

The company that made such oil would face
several court proceedings for damaged engines.

Super Tech has shown over and over to be a good oil by people that are members of this board yet some keep saying that it is a bad oil.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=000457#000000]

This Ford engine did fine on the ST oil. 7.3 liter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back