Walmart Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dufus2
This equates to $52 labor for a twenty minute job.

Feel free to take your business elsewhere if you think the price is too high. $52 to not have to deal with getting the car on ramps or jackstands, crawling under there and getting dirty, then hauling the used oil away might be worth it for some people (and necessary if they aren't allowed to work on their car at home).

Ramps?
Don't even own a set of those. Takes me 5-min to remove the cartridge filter. Ten minutes to drain the pan and another 5-10 min to install the filter and pour 2-gal of oil in the engine.

OCI is every 500 miles or 20 hours along with UOA and a particle count.

The Frantz cartridge requires a little longer, but no auto shop has the materials or experience to replace the element.

Ramps?
Don't even own a set of those. Takes me 5-min to remove the cartridge filter. Ten minutes to drain the pan and another 5-10 min to install the filter and pour 2-gal of oil in the engine.

OCI is every 500 miles or 20 hours along with UOA and a particle count.

The Frantz cartridge requires a little longer, but no auto shop has the materials or experience to replace the element.

What vehicle are you talking about?

It had dirt & liquid detergent poured in the engine oil. UOA showed high levels of Potassium and Sodium, consistent with household cleaning products. No Glycol was present.

I was at my local Wal-Mart and approached a female working in the TLC department. "I need a price for an oil change? It's 8 quarts and a diesel." This WM associate quoted me $80.
Is this conventional or synthetic?
The associate replied "It's standard Rotella"
What about the filter? This store does not carry the filter.
The associate replied "We will give you a $2 credit if you bring your own filter"

The WM near me just charges $31.88 for the first 5 qts of 15w40 Rotella. After that it is by the quart. They have Rotella in Eco-boxes so it's only $2.xx per qt. I have no idea where that associate got $80. She was correct about the oil filter, however.

I've had way more problems at dealerships with "factory trained technicians" than I ever have at WM or any other quick lube joint.

It doesn't matter what the sign says out front, if the guy working on your car is lazy or [censored] off that day then you're screwed either way.

This is why you should never get your oil changed at Wal-Mart.

This was a transmission filter....

Tech tried to remove it instead of oil filter, then did not replace it or admit the mistake and inform me of the error.

Punched a hole in it, fluid drained out, transmission died, taking motor with it...

abj8l2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats

Tech tried to remove it instead of oil filter, then did not replace it or admit the mistake and inform me of the error.

Punched a hole in it, fluid drained out, transmission died, taking motor with it...

abj8l2.jpg

Are they taking responsibility for any of the damage?

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats

abj8l2.jpg

Oh them idiots... Don't they know external trans filters are always red/pink? Can't imagine them fiddling with a duramax Allison combo..

Total bill was 14K and change,

Walmart never showed up at court,
Judge listened to my story,
(they can't just rule in your favor)
ruled in my favor,
and I used the money to purchase a new car...

Last edited:
Around here the ford dealer charges 29.99 for a motorcraft semi syn oil change and filter for my grand marquis.

3.49 extra because it takes an extra quart.

Why go anywhere else? They even rotate the tires.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Around here the ford dealer charges 29.99 for a motorcraft semi syn oil change and filter for my grand marquis.

3.49 extra because it takes an extra quart.

Why go anywhere else? They even rotate the tires.

Same here in Ohio with a coupon for $20. I bring my Toyota there. Plus they do an inspection sheet and I can watch them. I normally get the same guy every time since I pull up in front of the second garage door.

Here's a 14 yr old girl doing an oil change. It's kind of funny at the 40 sec mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN79ptbZtcU

Last edited:
I agree with Eddie. My WM does a fine job and is committed to good customer service. I spec QSUD in my Corvette with a GM filter. They walk in the store, grab a 5 quart jug and the filter off the shelf. For $49. What's there to complain about?

Whelp, once they put in Super Tech after I paid for Mobil 1, and worse yet, they doublefilled my Chevy truck with 12 qts! I DIY now for sure, 3.

Wow, I wouldn't trust walmart with my truck. I bought a 5qt jug and a mopar oil filter for $23 total. I changed it at work for free, It's nice having a lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back