Walmart Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
While reviewing a few informative Youtube videos i found this one. Its not informative, and starts out slow, but I liked it none the less.
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCUxc_9VllY

I have an acquaintance that worked in the local Walmart's quick lube center. Said everyone got 10W-30; didn't matter what the car required or what you asked for. He wasn't joking.

Local Walmart I go to will gladly take whatever oil/filter you choose to buy and charges $20 for labor. The place I buy tires from wlll do the same for $10.

Originally Posted By: frank2009
I have an acquaintance that worked in the local Walmart's quick lube center. Said everyone got 10W-30; didn't matter what the car required or what you asked for. He wasn't joking.

That's exactly what I would expect at Walmart.

That's funny -- my Walmart doesn't advertise 10W-30 as an option anymore. I am offered 5W20 or 5W30 as an option, in either Pennzoil or Quaker State. I just had a service done at my local Walmart and am satisfied I got what I requested.

Am sure it is possible for a local manager to cut corners, but I don't see that happening at my local Walmart.

Last edited:
Sadly most quick lubes will do this. Not just Walmart. I know of tons of 15 minute shops that do that...

Normally, when I used to buy tires for my truck Goodyear would have a deal for a free oc with tire purchase... I always requested 5w30 or 10w30... They would gripe at me because it specs 5w20... That was also long ago, when there was a class II leak under there.

QSHM and super tech filters fixed that though. Ahh the days of QSHM w/ slick 50 already pre mixed
33.gif

Last edited:
I was at my local Wal-Mart and approached a female working in the TLC department. "I need a price for an oil change? It's 8 quarts and a diesel." This WM associate quoted me $80.
Is this conventional or synthetic?
The associate replied "It's standard Rotella"
What about the filter? This store does not carry the filter.
The associate replied "We will give you a $2 credit if you bring your own filter"

Here is the issue with getting an oil change at walmart for my European car.
Rotella was advertised on an end cap 50 feet from the TLC counter for $12.96 in gallon jugs. (2 required totaling $25.92) The store does not stock any filter that will work and is only allowing a $2 credit if you provide your own oil filter.

An Oil Change at Wal-Mart is $80.00, less 2.00 for a filter and $26 for Rotella motor oil sold in the store. This equates to $52 labor for a twenty minute job.

And my neighbor complains about vehicle service in the driveway LOLZ

My Walmart auto center goes out into the store and picks the oil you request. In addition they use a torque wrench when tighting the wheel lugs after a rotation. All this [censored] about the OCOD and ALL quick lub places being really bad is incorect and displays ignorance since one person can only evaluate a few places. Ed

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
^Is the Amsoil not good enough for you and you wanted to try something better?
I don't run Amsoil in this car, it has enough leaks and synthetic can compound the problem. I do buy some Pentosin products that meet OEM requirements. The engine was just replaced and I need an estimated cost to add to my vandalism claim against auto insurance.

Your situation is unique and clearly your oil change strategy should not include Walmart.

This is what I got done two days ago. 02 Ford F350 V10 engine. 6 qts required. This vehicle has had no one else besides me change its oil since 2006.

Standard oil change (QS 5W20) 26.88
add 1 qt oil (QS 5W20) +1.83
credit for shop filter (Fram) -2.09
Motorcraft FL 820S instead +3.97
Chassis lube incl

It appears that labor charge is about $15.64. My regular mechanic and the local Ford dealer about $13 more (all Motorcraft products.)

I would have done this myself except that the ice and snow outside made it too dicey for me to do, so I paid for the convenience of not doing it in winter weather. I don't find the price to be unreasonable and they did a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back