Walmart brand Super Tech summer formula washer fluid smells like fart

You guys put your nose that close to the opening (like you're sampling a fine wine), or is it really that strong--like iron remover? I've purchased and used the SuperTech variety recently and noticed no smell.
As soon as I opened the jug, it was like a punch in the face. I've used several jugs and none had a smell until this one.

This is the stuff I bought. It smells like it came from a tadpole nursery.

Attachments

• 825544A1-1BC2-49A1-B02D-A3CE428F1DE4.jpg
    825544A1-1BC2-49A1-B02D-A3CE428F1DE4.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 25
If the batch has low alcohol content , the water spoils and turns into swamp water. It smells rancid. I switched brands because of it. Supertech is just blue water.
Yep, that's it. Had the auto people at WM tell me that. If it's more than a few months old, open it before you pay for it. If it smells like swamp water, it's old. Get a new bottle.

That's one of the reasons they clearance it out so rapidly at the store I frequent. Most of the ones I get are .50 cents on clearance. I check them before I leave the store.

I use this ammonia and dish soap recipe for summer. The ammonia does a good job of breaking down bug guts.

This is fascinating. Had no idea washer fluid could get skunked. I use the summer stuff from Wally in some of our vehicles but use Kristal Klar concentrate in my 2 because it smells great. Once we get to Nov any remaining I just run it out/purge it with the washers and add winter blue.

The SuperTech green bug remover fluid smells like rotten eggs. I had some sitting around and topped off my car then noticed the fluid had brown debris in it! Had to pull back my fender liner and remove the pump then flush the reservoir out just to make sure I wouldn’t clog the pump with that crap :mad: I found Home Depot to have good name brand fluid for like $2.50, stocked up on that.

Unless you're using this as cologne, what does it matter what it smells like? Gear oil stinks too but nobody complains about that.
Given a choice, I would not buy washer fluid that smells nasty. Just saying.
Gear oil is contained inside the gearbox/diff and not sprayed onto the windshield. You mean to say that you don't sniff everyone's windshield? LOL JK
I don't personally care about it, but I can understand why the smell of gear oil might bother some people... some who actually do complain:
Survey: Does gear oil smell TERRIBLE to you or just so-so?
Gear oil smell
Why do gear oils smell so awful?

A lot of the cheaper blue stuff will dry rot the window seals over time from chemicals in it.. Rain X orange is better and doesn't contain them from what I have gathered

i have one too, no fart smell. Maybe check the manufacture date and look at a calendar. If it falls on a tuesday than you have you're answer as to why it smells like a fart. (taco tuesdays)

Any idea what the ingredients are? They literally list nothing on the bottle at 32 deg F is literally the freezing point of water, any solvent would actually lower freezing below that. Maybe we did just pay $2.50 for a gallon of blue dyed water.

Went to WM this morning looking for food containers. Also got some ST +32F washer fluid to stop the annoying "low fluid" ding-ding alarm in the Lexus.
20220729_101520_cropped_resized.jpg
20220729_101548_cropped_resized.jpg

New, unopened jug. Opened it up and gave it a whiff, chemistry lab style (wave the hand over the opening). No odor at all. Fart smell must be a shelf life thing?
🤷‍♂️

Being in CO I simply refuse to buy +32. Inevitably I'll want to add some in the winter or I'll have some left in a vehicle come freezing temps and it'll freeze solid.

I was recently servicing an '02 Trailblazer where someone had obviously used +32 and the ENTIRE length of line from engine compartment to rear window had splits in it. We counted at least 5 distinct drips along the length of the vehicle.

As for drinking it, SWMBO assures me ethylene glycol is better for me. I do prefer the sweet taste......

Back