Wal-Mart fined for off-grade SuperTech Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lubricant failing a required specification? Oh dear. Wonder if their license was pulled?
27.gif

http://www.jobbersworld.com/January 19, 2009.htm

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
A lubricant failing a required specification? Oh dear. Wonder if their license was pulled?

API's Response to Valvoline's Claim Regarding Mobil 1
A significant number of readers contacted JobbersWorld with regards to several stories we ran starting on December 11, 2008 about Valvoline's claim that "Mobil 1 5W-30 does not meet minimum API SM or ILSAC GF-4 specification because of its inferior performance in the Sequence IVA wear test."

Most who contacted JobbersWorld were in disbelief (and questioned) that it could be true. They said Valvoline was simply trying to gain attention and some marketing mileage by taking on a Giant. Others said, there is no way Valvoline would be "crazy enough" to take on a Giant if they didn't have all their "t's" crossed and "i's" dotted with test data. And then there were those who asked. "what does the American Petroleum Institutute (API) have to say about it since Valvoline's claim specifically points to Mobil 1 not meeting API specifications?"

In an effort to address this issue, JobbersWorld contacted API. We asked them three questions. First, is the API aware of Valvoline's claim that Mobil 1 does not meet API SM specification? Second, does the API have any date to support Valvoline's claim, or ExxonMobil's position that Mobil 1 5W-30 meets API SM GF-4? And finally, what is the API's position regarding its testing protocol to assure that Mobil 1, or any other lubricant for that matter, meets API performance specifications?

What follows is API's response:

1. Yes, API is aware of Valvoline's claim.

2. API would not compare one licensed brand against another. However, ExxonMobil has certified to API that its 5W-30 Mobil 1 product meets ILSAC GF-4 and API SM requirements.

3. API has been testing off-the-shelf engine oils carrying the API Starburst and Donut under its Aftermarket Audit Program (AMAP) since 1994 and in 1999 began testing API-licensed product dispensed from tanks and drums at quick-lube facilities, service stations, auto dealerships, and truck maintenance facilities. Since 1994, API has tested approximately 7,000 API-licensed oils from around the world.

API went on to say, "Under AMAP, API-licensed engine oils are purchased in the marketplace and bench-tested to determine their physical and chemical properties. The results are compared to licensee formulations on file at API. Conforming oils show bench-test results that are consistent with the formulations and meet program requirements. All samples undergo elemental analysis, viscosity at 100°C, and high-temperature/high-shear testing. They may also be tested for cold cranking, pumpability, volatility, foaming, filterability, rust and corrosion inhibition, and shear stability. Product packages are checked to make sure they correctly display the API Marks and carry product trace codes. A number of bench-tested oils undergo actual industry sequence engine testing for oxidation, deposits, sludge, varnish, and wear."

The more I look at this it seems the API is a joke and does nothing but protect themselves and the one who make the products.

Originally Posted By: cven
The more I look at this it seems the API is a joke and does nothing but protect themselves and the one who make the products.

"3. API has been testing off-the-shelf engine oils carrying the API Starburst and Donut under its Aftermarket Audit Program (AMAP) since 1994 and in 1999 began testing API-licensed product dispensed from tanks and drums at quick-lube facilities, service stations, auto dealerships, and truck maintenance facilities. Since 1994, API has tested approximately 7,000 API-licensed oils from around the world."

There's a joke in all this, but it is not API.

Originally Posted By: cven
This will be great for Amsoil!
LOL.gif

I'm with you on that but why is it they are not the ones who catch these out of spec products?

As stated in the last paragraph of the article, the API did not answer the primary question. Their response danced around the issue as much XOM's.

Originally Posted By: 77GrandPrix
As stated in the last paragraph of the article, the API did not answer the primary question. Their response danced around the issue as much XOM's.

Seemed clear enough to me:

Yes, they know about the allegation.

They don't comment on individual oils.

They test oils, 7,000 so far, for compliance.

Mobil 1 still seems to bear the API starburst.

Originally Posted By: Rolf
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

2. API would not compare one licensed brand against another. However, ExxonMobil has certified to API that its 5W-30 Mobil 1 product meets ILSAC GF-4 and API SM requirements.

Here's what will become of this:
XM will be fined because some of their product does not meet spec. However, they will NOT admit to any guilt and steadfastly say they have the best product in the world.

Happens all the time. You read it here first.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Happens all the time. You read it here first.

This sounds like a news-paper tag line!
LOL.gif
A lot of stuff is here first, I wonder if it us that creates the "speculation" that drives change!
wink.gif

Quote:
ExxonMobil has certified to API that its 5W-30 Mobil 1 product meets ILSAC GF-4 and API SM requirements.

The API may be a joke, but that doesn't let XOM off the hook. I'm confident they were caught. I trust what Valvman wrote on this website and what Ashland has found.

Ashland probably has more credibility at this point as THEY actually certify oils.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
ExxonMobil has certified to API that its 5W-30 Mobil 1 product meets ILSAC GF-4 and API SM requirements.

The API may be a joke, but that doesn't let XOM off the hook. I'm confident they were caught. I trust what Valvman wrote on this website and what Ashland has found.

Ashland probably has more credibility at this point as THEY actually certify oils.

Does ExxonMobil not certify oils?

No I don't think they do. They probably could run all the engine sequence tests, but they don't certify AFAIK. Double check..

Ashland ran tests several months ago of many 5w30 conventional oils at a local auto parts store. Many failed the shear stability test. Point being, Ashland could have easily been finding flaws.

Originally Posted By: buster

You have opinions.

Everyone has opinions.

Why has nobody commented on the article in the title? I don't suppose many folks here would go for Supertech gear oil, but still...

If nothing else, at least it provides written proof that Warren supplies some part of Walmart's oil stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back