VW Triptronic Trans Fluid Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an '08 Beetle with an Aisin 09G Triptronic 6 Speed auto.

We were driving from Michigan to Florida, and somewhere in one of the Carolinas at 5am a truck hit something that flew into our lane, ripped the belly pan off and continued undetneeth where it smashed and ripped a hole through the transmission pan. If it was about a 1/4" higher it would have smashed and cracked the trans case, so it wasn't as bad as could have been.

Anyway, I was able to pull off the next exit where there was a WalMart which I bought some epoxy putty, an outdrive fluid pump since this trans does not have a dip stick and is filled through the drain plug, and a couple quarts of MaxLife ATF since it is the I ly stuff that had any sort of VW/Audi recommendation. I "fixed" it up to get us where we were going, which then I was able to find a trans rebuilder who had an aftermarket pan, filter, as gasket set for $90. I also picked up a gallon of MaxLife ATF from WalMart since it is 1/4 the price of VW Fluid. BTW, the pan itself from VW was $219.

So, now that I am all fixed up, my question is regarding ATF.

This trans calls for VW G 055.025.A2 . The MaxLife is recommended for G 052.025.A2 .

After looking at Blauparts.com they don't even offer the 052 fluid. When I called them they said the 055 superceeds the 052. I have been unable to find any actual info on these two fluids. I am wondering if I am safe with the MaxLife fluid or if it is going to cause a problem.

That being said, I've been in the auto service business for a long time and even though each manufacturer has their own specs, it seems like more so than now a universal fluid seems to work fine, unless it is some super strange fluid type.

Being that I have 0 experience with German vehicles, just look for some piece of mind that this shouldn't be a problem.

So, do any of the Euro guys out there know exactly what if anything is different between these two oil speca, and is it really that big of a deal using this MaxLife ? I know it is good stuff, I just don't know the specifics of the different specs.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I don't know jack about VW spec's but you sir, are a genius for fixing this up the way you did. Respect.

Lol thanks man. You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. I'll tell you what though, trying to work underneath a car with the spare tire jack in a parking lot at 5am is not the ideal work environment lol

the G052 ATF is for ZF-made transmissions.

Blauparts has the correct G052 ATF part number.

In terms of gear oils, which also utilizes G055 & G052, the part numbers are also different.

The maxlife ATF is a one-size fits all fluid, hence the broad spectrum for what it is "recommended" for (not "certified" for).

Since it's an Aisin trans, the VW part number is just the number they assigned to Toyota T-IV fluid, or even simpler Mobil JWS3309. This trans doesn't need any super special VW or ZF fluid.

You'll be just fine with the Maxlife in there.

Great. Good to know. I know that it is good fluid, and from what I've seen, your merc/Dex based atf's are generally pretty similar.

I'll let you know if we make it the 1200 miles back
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back