VW Tiguan 2.0T Mobil1 ESP 0W30

Here is 5k UOA of M1 ESP 0W30 ACEA C3, VW504.00/507.00.
UOA is 5k and there are IMO several red flags here.
First, the TAN is high and higher than TBN. This version of ESP should have slower oxidation than previous version, but as previous UOA shows (old ESP 5W30) oxidation seem less excessive. Now, that old UOA was done with more HWY miles. It is safe to say that current UOA has 90% of miles in city. That could be contributing factor to oxidation and higher iron numbers due to heavy “grocery getting” regime. KV100 is also down. Still in W30 range but again, other UOA looks much better.
Currently I have Motul X-Clean+ 5W30 in an engine. I will do UOA of ghat oil too but will run after that Castrol Edge 0W40 just to see how full-SAPS oil does in this engine compared to these Low-SAPS.
9C114C81-B4B9-47E7-97BE-F367DEA17DF0.jpeg

Interesting, and a bit concerning as you've noted. I did one UOA of VW 504 dealer oil and it was whipped at 10k, non turbo all highway. Full SAPS oils were still strong at 10k in the same engine/routine.

I'm not sure what to blame it on, VW 508's are very similar but thinner and they seem to hold up very well. Perhaps the 504 oils are best suited to the 5k OCI crowd.

What is really strange is that supposedly this Mobil1 ESP is one that should oxidize less than the previous version. Iron is IMO a OK it is VW, they do tend to have higher iron. Will see how Motul does and then I will do run with Full SAPS, probably Edge 0W40.

What is really strange is that supposedly this Mobil1 ESP is one that should oxidize less than the previous version. Iron is IMO a OK it is VW, they do tend to have higher iron. Will see how Motul does and then I will do run with Full SAPS, probably Edge 0W40.
If they are using esters in the base oil blend it may show false high oxidation.

Not that bad. Perhaps your engine liked ESP 5W-30 better, but probably it's just the 90% city miles.
Yeah, compared to that previous UOA this batch saw a lot if city. Since we got kids 5 1/2 years back that car is mostly city crawler.
Those other 10% is when I take car purposely somewhere to “exercise “ it and not BMW.

Hmm. Our new Atlas specs the 504 0W-30. I’m not terribly concerned considering the 25/250k powertrain warranty the dealer offered gratis. I’ll feed it 504 until it dies if they want to warrant that.

Interesting, I've never even heard of a 25/250k warranty. Of course they are betting most buyers will never have the vehicle anywhere near that long but still.

Interesting, I've never even heard of a 25/250k warranty. Of course they are betting most buyers will never have the vehicle anywhere near that long but still.
Not had I, and you are correct l. I’ll never use it.

Interesting thanks for sharing. I too have a 2.0 turbo (b48) that runs about 5k OCI and iron numbers seem to trend similarly here as well. Plenty of short grocery runs , excessive idling (kids napping). I use full saps here and wanted to actually try xclean next or LL04 after my full saps stash is gone. If you're curious on the b48 on BMW TPT 5w30 LL01 here is the link; https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...iles-5-4k-oci-bmw-tpt-sopus-5w30-ll01.348293/
Your fuel dilution seems to be doing much better off for being a grocery getter / kid mobile. Mine makes me want to shorten the interval but so far seems ok, will probably continue doing around 5k. I too may try edge 0w40 because I have too many jugs laying around.

Interesting, and a bit concerning as you've noted. I did one UOA of VW 504 dealer oil and it was whipped at 10k, non turbo all highway. Full SAPS oils were still strong at 10k in the same engine/routine.

I'm not sure what to blame it on, VW 508's are very similar but thinner and they seem to hold up very well. Perhaps the 504 oils are best suited to the 5k OCI crowd.
KC are you saying a turbo VW owner might want to stray away from the recommend 504. 0w30 recommendation?

Interesting thanks for sharing. I too have a 2.0 turbo (b48) that runs about 5k OCI and iron numbers seem to trend similarly here as well. Plenty of short grocery runs , excessive idling (kids napping). I use full saps here and wanted to actually try xclean next or LL04 after my full saps stash is gone. If you're curious on the b48 on BMW TPT 5w30 LL01 here is the link; https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...iles-5-4k-oci-bmw-tpt-sopus-5w30-ll01.348293/
Your fuel dilution seems to be doing much better off for being a grocery getter / kid mobile. Mine makes me want to shorten the interval but so far seems ok, will probably continue doing around 5k. I too may try edge 0w40 because I have too many jugs laying around.
I saw it. Take into consideration that TPT Castrol version is really thin.
But, yes, your flash point looks way down. And SOPUS GTL based oils seem prone to flash point dive. Not sure which one you had.
Edge 0W40 is definitely option. But in B48 I would go approved oil, potentially one that has LSPI test (MB229.52). So Motul X-Clean 5W40 GEN2?

I saw it. Take into consideration that TPT Castrol version is really thin.
But, yes, your flash point looks way down. And SOPUS GTL based oils seem prone to flash point dive. Not sure which one you had.
Edge 0W40 is definitely option. But in B48 I would go approved oil, potentially one that has LSPI test (MB229.52). So Motul X-Clean 5W40 GEN2?
Thanks for recommendation, I actually have 5w40 xcess gen 2 in there right now. Went full saps strictly so I can share oil across all my cars , but probably go to xclean eventually. I thought GTL heavy oils were supposedly better with flash points than PAO heavy based on the lower NOACK %?

Back