VW Did It Right- Key Fob

The big question is, why did you have to replace a battery on a 2021? These should last a lot longer.
These fully wireless key systems seem to eat through batteries since they’re constantly searching for the vehicle. I think 2 years is pretty good for that. We had a Nissan they both remotes would die a week apart at about the 18 month mark and I almost never interacted with the car.

We drive 30k/year on our 18 Tiguan(143k). Not sure if that effects keyless entry/start to only last one year/battery.

It shouldn’t. I would not think the fob and car would communicate while it’s running.

Some people park their car in the garage and leave the fob in the car figuring that it’s safe. That would be a good example of the two pinging each other and using up the battery.

I get a warning on the dash display . Walk in the parts department at my Nissan dealer and the guy changes it . No charge .

Same as mine. I also get alerts in the info screen. Takes the 2032
I wish Mazda hadn't made their fob so ridiculously bulky for 2020; it still uses a 2032 however the process of replacement requires pulling apart a lot of plastic, had to look up the process when I replaced the batteries in my fobs a few months ago.

I'm sure I'll have to look it up again when they need replacing in another 12-18 months.

This little flathead screw on the Lexus fob is a pill - small and overtightened at the key factory.

20230918_113400_cropped_resized_2.jpg

The M2 flathead screw shown is a replacement I sourced from McMaster. The OEM screw is probably JIS and has a much smaller, thinner and shallow cross than the Phillips shown. Typically, you have to drill out the head after you strip the cross.

Yeah, a bag of screws was cheaper than the miniature JIS screwdrivers.

I wish Mazda hadn't made their fob so ridiculously bulky for 2020; it still uses a 2032 however the process of replacement requires pulling apart a lot of plastic, had to look up the process when I replaced the batteries in my fobs a few months ago.

I'm sure I'll have to look it up again when they need replacing in another 12-18 months.

Mine is the old style and I know they went to the larger fob with side buttons as I recall. The emphasis on buttons is reduced since people really don’t need them anymore. But that said, they should really come up with a new fob. Something more modern.

Since I suspect the thread has run its course....

Back in the day I always thought VW/Audi's approach of making you lock the driver's door from outside was actually pretty smart. Now, vacuum pdl's.....not so much. :D

Since I suspect the thread has run its course....

Back in the day I always thought VW/Audi's approach of making you lock the driver's door from outside was actually pretty smart. Now, vacuum pdl's.....not so much. :D
They still know how to make a timing chain though 🤔

Back