VW dealer completed heater core replacement...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got our 2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI back today. It was at the dealer for a heater core replacement due to a clogged heater core. They did a BG coolant flush, and replaced the heater core. VW G13 coolant was used (OEM). Heat will just about scald you now from all vents.

Is there an concern with them using this BG product, or is it pretty harmless?

Also, I did contact VW corporate on my own and was able to get them to cover half the costs under goodwill. Thank you VW!

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Why was a 5 year old heat core clogged?

I wish I knew. This seems to me more common with VW / Audi than other brands.

They probably used the product to clean out any clogs, but I am not sure how well that snake oil actually works.

Is your wife out of the hospital yet?

a 2014 with 50000 miles? That is way before the first recommended coolant change... quite odd.. makes me wonder if changing the coolant earlier would help or if its cheap heater core etc.

Originally Posted by The Critic
They probably used the product to clean out any clogs, but I am not sure how well that snake oil actually works.

Is your wife out of the hospital yet?

I'm sure that was the reasoning behind it, do you know if this product would cause any harm or interact with G13? As far as the wife, no. She is likely to be here another 2 months.

Originally Posted by Rand
a 2014 with 50000 miles? That is way before the first recommended coolant change... quite odd.. makes me wonder if changing the coolant earlier would help or if its cheap heater core etc.

Exactly. When the service advisor brought up that I had never changed the coolant I told him is was NOT recommended by VW at this mileage. This is one reason I do a spill and fill on the 2012 Accord. Super easy preventative maintenance.

VW heater cores have extremely small passages and more of them for maximum transfer surface area for efficiency. Clogged heater cores from the last decade+ are a legacy of this. The more modern vehicles are dead easy to change from the footwell and there is no dreaded dash removal like other vehicles. You can soak and backflush them for effect but eventually a heater core replacement is needed for colder climates.

Hopefully you saw the old heater core....dealer lied to us about replacing when they only backflushed. No heat a year later, different dealer under warranty work said they replaced - also a lie as indy shop said it wasood OEM when they looked at it.

Trust, but verify.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Hopefully you saw the old heater core....dealer lied to us about replacing when they only backflushed. No heat a year later, different dealer under warranty work said they replaced - also a lie as indy shop said it wasood OEM when they looked at it.

Trust, but verify.

This kind of thing happens all the time in the auto repair business, it's one of the sleaziest industries in the USA.
You are more likely than not going to be ripped off, cheated, and often times they will sabotage things so they get more money from you down the road.

Well I am going to trust it was replaced. If things go south down the road Ill try to inspect.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Well I am going to trust it was replaced. If things go south down the road Ill try to inspect.

I hope they did what they claimed. I hate being negative, but I worked in this business and know that these things happen to customers all the time.
I apologize for the behavior of my fellows in the industry.
blush.gif

BG chemicals are absolutely safe with VW coolant, have been personally using them for years. That being said, the coolant flush chemical is designed for a maintenance flush only, it won't do anything for a core that's already plugged.

Originally Posted by gregk24
I got our 2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI back today. It was at the dealer for a heater core replacement due to a clogged heater core. They did a BG coolant flush, and replaced the heater core. VW G13 coolant was used (OEM). Heat will just about scald you now from all vents.

Is there an concern with them using this BG product, or is it pretty harmless?

Also, I did contact VW corporate on my own and was able to get them to cover half the costs under goodwill. Thank you VW!

Sometimes a phone call and being nice helps a lot.

Originally Posted by sloinker
VW heater cores have extremely small passages and more of them for maximum transfer surface area for efficiency. Clogged heater cores from the last decade+ are a legacy of this. The more modern vehicles are dead easy to change from the footwell and there is no dreaded dash removal like other vehicles. You can soak and backflush them for effect but eventually a heater core replacement is needed for colder climates.

I thought the more modern cars were the ones with dreadful heater cores--are you saying the modern VW's are easier to change on? One of the reasons why I got rid of my MkIV was because of the looming heater core job.

What's a job like this cost? I guess that would reflect how easy these these HC's are to get at. I know this isn't the case for most vehicles today.

Just as an example, but on my Nissan versa, the steering column, brake and accelerator pedal assy among other things has to come out just to get the HVAC fan/motor out and these fan motors are seemingly made of bubble gum they fail so often.

Originally Posted by supton

I thought the more modern cars were the ones with dreadful heater cores--are you saying the modern VW's are easier to change on? One of the reasons why I got rid of my MkIV was because of the looming heater core job.

Many of the models for the last 5 years or so are accessible through the footwell. My old 2001 would have required a dash removal. The 2015 from the footwell. I don't know if this is all models but the underlying architecture is the same on many vehicles so I'm guessing yes.

Many of the models for the last 5 years or so are accessible through the footwell. My old 2001 would have required a dash removal. The 2015 from the footwell. I don't know if this is all models but the underlying architecture is the same on many vehicles so I'm guessing yes.

Good to know; thanks. I liked my MkIV but after 300k I figured it was getting ready for a slew of problems. It won't be long before I will be on the used market again. From what I can tell, many of the late model Toyota's use buried heater cores, and I'm trying to not be blind about any future repairs.

Good to know; thanks. I liked my MkIV but after 300k I figured it was getting ready for a slew of problems. It won't be long before I will be on the used market again. From what I can tell, many of the late model Toyota's use buried heater cores, and I'm trying to not be blind about any future repairs.

I'd say after 300,000 miles it served you very well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back