Vredestein

Just stumbled across this brand. Based on low price I assumed bargain basement quality but Tirerack reviews and professional test results say the Qualtac Pro is a superior high quality tire. Don't like the idea they are now owned by Indian investors but appears tires are still made in Netherlands. Also not sure what this tire is exactly. Tirerack calls it Grand Touring but other references say it is a performance tire. The low 400 tread wear rating is more in line with a performance tire. So, why is the Qualtrac Pro $40-50 per tire cheaper than say a Michelin Defender LTX or a Bridgestone Dueler Alenza? Anyone have direct experience with Vredestein? Thanks.

I just installed the Quatrac Pro on my new car and I had the Quadtrac 5 on another car. They are great All Weather tires. I feel they are less expensive because they don't need a huge marketing budget. They can build their reputation on word of mouth. I believe the Pro model are all made in Hungary.

[Linked Image from moderntyres.com]

Last edited:
Well regarded tires and positive comments about them on here. MCompact on here likes them and has them on his Clubman if memory serves correct. I don't recall any negatives about them. Tread wear ratings can be taken with a grain of salt and aren't comparable to other brands is my understanding. Capiracer on here is an excellent source of tire info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by artbuc
Anyone have direct experience with Vredestein? Thanks.

Just bought a set of Vredestein Sportrac 5's in 195/65/14's for the BMW below.
They are very new (still have the nubs on the side walls) and are surprisingly VERY stable, yet compliant with potholes etc.
Despite having taller side walls, they don't readily roll over when going for "spirited" drives around corners.

Overall, they are one of only a few who make that size.
Considering they are a summer tire, I find them very good overall.
Not sure how they'll do over the years, but considering I drive that car about 200miles per year I'll probably have them for a while
lol.gif

No experience with them, but my tire store quoted me some for a side job and I asked about them. They seem like a good tire for the normal daily driver, just don't expect long tread life as evidenced by the low tread wear ratings. Tread pattern looks very good and quiet. It's just a trade off, $ for longevity.

Thanks for all the great feedback. Not concerned about tread life since I ditch tires based on age. One of the few advantages of old age, lol.

Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
No experience with them, but my tire store quoted me some for a side job and I asked about them. They seem like a good tire for the normal daily driver, just don't expect long tread life as evidenced by the low tread wear ratings. Tread pattern looks very good and quiet. It's just a trade off, $ for longevity.

I'm familiar with them as they make some oddball sizes suitable for classic cars(i.e. 165HR14 for my MG, which is about a 165/80R14 in modern sizes). They are one of the higher priced tires Coker sells in my experience.

I've never personally run them(I use a modern wider size of the same overall diameter), but know a few people who do and are very happy with them.

It's a Dutch brand with plenty of history (founded in 1909) that didn't get much distribution in the US until they were bought by a very large Indian company (Apollo Tyres). The Indian company actually moved its R&D headquarters to the Netherlands after acquiring Vredestein since I assume they figured the new acquisition's engineers were plenty talented. All of Vredestein's tires are made in the Netherlands or Hungary, so it's all European.

In short, the company's old, the reviews are good, and the tire you're looking at was made in a Dutch factory; I don't see any warning signs here. Go for it and let us know how you like it!

I've used various Vredesteins on my cars since my first car (TR6) in ~1985 or so. Wow, I'm getting up there:).

I think I bought my first set from EuroTire. Who else remembers the ads in R&T?

Vredestein is a quality tire and their Classic line covers some unique fitments. I have the most recent experience with their Sprint Classic line and have had them on my current TR6 since I bought it in the mid 90's. I am on my 3rd (soon to be 4th) set. I find them to be soft and grippy and stop well with very good wet weather handling, but they do wear fast. One thing I do notice is that they age well. For comparison, some Michelin X's (the other tire I have used extensively on my classic cars) tend to wear very well, but will get hard and seem to lose significant grip especially in the wet past 6-7 years or so, but the Vredesteins don't seem to lose grip as quickly. I still replace them at ~7 years or so though.

I'd recommend them w/o any reservations.

Put a set of the Quadtrac 5 tires on the wife's Accord. Vast improvement over the BFG all-season tires. The company is based in the Netherlands but is owned by Tata Industries of India.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
I've used various Vredesteins on my cars since my first car (TR6) in ~1985 or so. Wow, I'm getting up there:).

I think I bought my first set from EuroTire. Who else remembers the ads in R&T?

Vredestein is a quality tire and their Classic line covers some unique fitments. I have the most recent experience with their Sprint Classic line and have had them on my current TR6 since I bought it in the mid 90's. I am on my 3rd (soon to be 4th) set. I find them to be soft and grippy and stop well with very good wet weather handling, but they do wear fast. One thing I do notice is that they age well. For comparison, some Michelin X's (the other tire I have used extensively on my classic cars) tend to wear very well, but will get hard and seem to lose significant grip especially in the wet past 6-7 years or so, but the Vredesteins don't seem to lose grip as quickly. I still replace them at ~7 years or so though.

I'd recommend them w/o any reservations.

My very first brand new car was a TR6 I bought in 1974. She was white with blue interior. The rear wheels were decambered so much I could only get about 5k miles on them. No way to fix it...was a manufacturing defect. I did find a shop that said they could modify the trailing arms but it sounded too sketchy to me. I loved that car but it was one major problem after another. I think 76 was the last year for the TR6. The TR7 totally lost the classic look.

Last edited:
Back