VP Racing small engine oil

The other day I went to a brother's house & did a tune-up on his Hypertough push mower, I used VP SAE 30/10w30 small engine oil for the oil change, placed a new Briggs & Stratton sparkplug in it, I also ran some seafoam through it to clean the fuel system, checked air filter & cleaned the deck, I was wondering if anyone has used VP oil in their small engines & what are your thoughts, I have never seen an oil that was SAE30/10w30 & this was my first time using the VP brand.

They sell it at tractor supply at an outrageous price.

It’s overly expensive synthetic 10W30.

It’s marketed as SAE30 but my understanding is it’s practically impossible to build an SAE30 that is also 10W30. It’s marketing. Nothing more, nothing less.
It is certainly possible to have a synthetic SAE30 qualify as a 10W-30. The former Amsoil ACD product was formulated in this manner.

The VP product, even at Tractor Supply, works out to be $8,85 per quart of fluid. The Amsoil, sans tax, shipping, membership fees, is 9,49 per quart of fluid. The VP might not be such a horrible deal if it's the super lube that it's touted as being.

I am presently using the Opti-4 SAE 30 in my OPE and this stuff is just stupid pricey. I pay $52 per gallon ($13 per quart) but I just love the stuff. It's the only oil that I have immediately noticed a running difference in the equipment.

I'm certain that your brother will be pleased with the oil change you performed on his mower. The frequency of these maintenance events makes the cost of parts and labor inconsequential in the long run so use the name brand stuff and mow with pride :)

Sae 30/10w30 they're making it so it is backwards compatible to the visual eye especially some random Joe the homeowner that needs oil for his lawnmower. Good marketing. I'm sure it's of the same overly priced overly marketed amsoil, royal purple, red line and Lucas. Is it bad oil no, bad on the wallet yes.

The VP product, even at Tractor Supply, works out to be $8,85 per quart of fluid. The Amsoil, sans tax, shipping, membership fees, is 9,49 per quart of fluid. The VP might not be such a horrible deal if it's the super lube that it's touted as being.

I am presently using the Opti-4 SAE 30 in my OPE and this stuff is just stupid pricey. I pay $52 per gallon ($13 per quart) but I just love the stuff. It's the only oil that I have immediately noticed a running difference in the equipment.

I'm certain that your brother will be pleased with the oil change you performed on his mower. The frequency of these maintenance events makes the cost of parts and labor inconsequential in the long run so use the name brand stuff and mow with pride :)
It is working out great so far in the Hypertough, it is also working out in my Grandma's powermore push mower, I think it's a solid product, I'm thinking about putting it in my Murray L head push mower next time it need an oil change, I have been running Briggs 30w, but I want to see how it handles synthetic.

It's really a waste to use anything expensive in a small engine, especially one without a pressure lube system and oil filter, as changing the oil to remove the contaminants will do way more for engine longevity over brand/viscosity.

I've built a few Predator 212cc engines into kart engines for friends' kids that are highly modified. No governor, different rod, valves, billet flywheel, different timing, running much higher than the stock 3600 max RPM. I had one apart last weekend to add some more go-fast parts for the guy and the inside was spotless with very little wear, just running the cheapest 15w40 he can find.

Running Amsoil or other boutique oil will make you feel good, but at the end of the season it will have about the same amount of contaminants in it as cheap 15w40 in a splash lubed engine.

as the Critic noted REAL synthetic PAO as well as ester oils meet the 10-30 spec while being a 30W + thats WITHOUT VII added!! just checked TC + seen $8 price BUT thats for 18 oz NOT a QT!! i use Redline 10-30 in my Honda as i use some in vehicles + its cheeper than the VP but prolly different additives for on road use.

Last edited:
I have contact VP racing they did not if group 3,4,5 ? Just say full synthetic motor it balances of base oil so I just they mostly group 3 but little to no group 4 or 5 other they would says yes it carries all types base oil instead giving all other chemistry lessons.

VP oil is good stuff but I only buy it if I get it on clearance price. Mobil 1 5 quart jugs in 10w30 or 40 and 0w30/40 are, in my experience, the best overall if you want a syn oil. Readily available and under 25 dollars a jug. Mobil 1 syn holds up to heat and keeps the engine clean. 15w40 oil is the best value overall in a dino oil. Robust additive package and designed to keep soot in suspension.

I'm sure it is good oil, but with any small engine the oil level and changing it frequently to get contaminants out of the crankcase will be far more helpful for engine longevity over buying an expensive synthetic, especially for a splash lubed engine without a filter. I have customers with several thousand hours on commercial mowers, all of them use the cheapest 15w40 they can find, but change it at the recommended intervals.

I have used the VP oil and it worked fine in my Simpson pressure washer with a Honda. i got it at walmart on clearance before winter last year for like $2 a bottle

ask yourself how many pieces of small equipment are out there that never have an oil change in their life and then ask yourself why you dont just use whatever engine oil you have laying around the house if you want to change the oil in that piece of small equipment.

In my case I use 15w40 diesel engine oil in all of my small power equipment,
simply because it is cheap and I usually have at least a gallon laying around the house.

running a high quality synthetic in lawn equiptment isnt false economy . as a test i bought 2 new in box tecumseh 4 stroke ohv engines aprox 12 yrs ago and ran one strickly on 10-30w symthetic oil. it still dosnt smoke or use and oil after 12 years of light commercial use on a snapper hi vac mower it gets oil changed once a season. in my experience you would be lucky to get 1 or2 seasons out of a tecumseh in commercial duty.

Back