Voltage for dash cam

I was helping a friend who has limited mobility in his right arm. He has a dash cam but cannot lift his right arm enough to turn the camera on and off. The auxiliary port ( used to be called a cigarette lighter hole) does not turn off with the ignition. He was concerned that leaving the camera on, so he asked me if I could help. He was wondering if a person could have a switch right at the auxiliary port.

I sourced such an animal on Amazon. It plugs into the port and has a button to turn on and off. It came with several ft of cord with nothing on the end. I cut off his normal plug on the end of his power cord and spliced in the plug with the button. The camera would not work. I checked the voltage and the plug with the button was delivering 12 volts. The red wire was positive.

I plugged in the original plug from his camera. It delivers only 5 volts, so I believe it was built with a resister to bring the voltage down to 5 volts. Why would a dash cam for a car be designed to run on 5 volts? I hope I didn’t fry his camera. I’ll switch it back and try it again. Any other ideas out there? Thanks.

Can't really help you other then to say my Dash Cam has a:
ON/OFF Switch on the part that plugs into the Cigarette Lighter hole.

Your friend could always just unplug the camera if not being used.

I was helping a friend who has limited mobility in his right arm. He has a dash cam but cannot lift his right arm enough to turn the camera on and off. The auxiliary port ( used to be called a cigarette lighter hole) does not turn off with the ignition. He was concerned that leaving the camera on, so he asked me if I could help. He was wondering if a person could have a switch right at the auxiliary port.

I sourced such an animal on Amazon. It plugs into the port and has a button to turn on and off. It came with several ft of cord with nothing on the end. I cut off his normal plug on the end of his power cord and spliced in the plug with the button. The camera would not work. I checked the voltage and the plug with the button was delivering 12 volts. The red wire was positive.

I plugged in the original plug from his camera. It delivers only 5 volts, so I believe it was built with a resister to bring the voltage down to 5 volts. Why would a dash cam for a car be designed to run on 5 volts? I hope I didn’t fry his camera. I’ll switch it back and try it again. Any other ideas out there? Thanks.

USB = 5V

what kind of vehicle some you can move a fuse to make accessory outlets turn on with ignition or always on.

Now for the rest of the story. I ordered up a female connector, soldered it to the male connector with the built-in on/off switch and now my friend can turn his camera on and off just by reaching over to the outlet. Recall his arm had limited use and he could not reach the on/off button on the camera. Both the switch and female connector were sourced from Amazon. The short extension is all 12 V and then his plug changes the voltage to 5 volts for the camera. Thanks for all the help. :)

C918CF2A-4C15-4DFD-9EE8-77773165842D.jpeg

Back