Dash Cam install on my Escape

The Dash Cam came with a Cigarette Plug adapter to power the unit but I was thinking to just cut off the adapter and connect the power wire to the Accessory fuse via a piggyback fuse holder. Can I do that or do I need to buy a $20.00 Dash Cam Hard wire kit? I will not use the parking mode feature anyway. Thanks

depends. you dont give us the needed info.

Does the cam run off 5volt (usb) or 12volt ?
if its 12volt you can cut off the plug.
if its 5volt you cant or you will blow up your dashcam.

If you're new to dash cams, be aware that most of them are not 100% reliable.

This is what I am currently installing right now. I was thinking to cut the cigarette plug adapter and connect the wire to accessory fuse box via piggyback fuse holder.

20221109_154313.jpg

This is what I am currently installing right now. I was thinking to cut the cigarette plug adapter and connect the wire to accessory fuse box via piggyback fuse holder.
As Rand alluded to, you need to determine whether the cigarette plug adapter converts 12v to 5v before sending it to the dashcam. If this is the case (and it's likely), cutting off the cigarette plug adapter and connecting the wires to a piggyback fuse holder will send 12v to the dashcam instead of the required 5v. That's bad.

depends. you dont give us the needed info.

Does the cam run off 5volt (usb) or 12volt ?
if its 12volt you can cut off the plug.
if its 5volt you cant or you will blow up your dashcam.
It says on the plug
DC 12V-30V
DC 5V to 1000mA

As Rand alluded to, you need to determine whether the cigarette plug adapter converts 12v to 5v before sending it to the dashcam. If this is the case (and it's likely), cutting off the cigarette plug adapter and connecting the wires to a piggyback fuse holder will send 12v to the dashcam instead of the required 5v. That's bad.
Oh wow, so I need to buy a Hardwire Install kit then?
https://www.amazon.com/Hardwire-Das...rdwire+install+kit,aps,718&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Your dashcam needs 5v then. The first number (12v-30v DC) is the input voltage. 5v DC is the output voltage. Pretty much all dashcams run on 5v DC.
not all, most blackvue brand are 12volt iirc.
yes the 5volt part was determined earlier.. but still dont know what plug is on his camera since he didnt list a model.. and you cant tell with the usb cord plugged into the camera... I'd guess mini or micro..

Thanks for all the replies fellow BITOGERS. (y) :)
After searching at Amazon I stumbled into this plug & play adapter. I think I'll get this one since it plugs in directly obd2 port and it has a Mini USB that will fit into my Rexing V3 DashCam.
https://www.amazon.com/Ssontong-Adapter-Hardwire-Charger-Surveillance/dp/B07RXTJK4F
Make sure to have a backup SD card in the vehicle and that it is of the "high endurance" variety. These cards are built with memory chips designed for continuous recording.

Back