Volcanic rocks and the barby

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old Barby is starting to show that it's seen better days...and it's only been nearly a decade.

The powder coated peripherals are holding up well, while the central unit was only painted, and showing it's days.

The pressed steel diffuser 'neath the grill "plate" has carked it, this spring falling into a number of pieces.

So I took a stainless steal doormat (useless Christmas present of a few years ago (or so I thought), modified it to fit, and fitted it with volcanic rock.

Commissioned it last week (hood down), which had exploding rocks force my dog to escape the yard.

Tonight cooked some rump marinaded in red wine, and some green and white asparagus...two exploding rocks, so it's still settling in.

The meat was incredible cooked over volcanic rocks...not as good as charcoal, but way better than rusting steel.

And a little gritty.

I lock the children inside at present...a tad scary/tasty.

As to Fire in the hole, we just watched Jamie and Adam's exploding pants.

them rocks will always blow up. it's heat spalling. what breaks down rocks in the desert from boulders to gravel.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
them rocks will always blow up. it's heat spalling. what breaks down rocks in the desert from boulders to gravel.

Read the other day that NASA have a pretty neat solar thing to make glass out of moon dust

if there is silica in it, should be easy (other than getting and working there). Silica is the biggest part of most rocks here and on the moon i think. do you have a link?

yes capping tailings too - save them having to place clay layers over the stuff.

whether it would ever be practical I don't know.

they should spend the money on fixing the world's people first.

there's not really anywhere practical for us to go unless we invent light speed travel or time travel.

if there is silica in it, should be easy (other than getting and working there). Silica is the biggest part of most rocks here and on the moon i think. do you have a link?

Silica sand is only available in Australia...others are coral sand, it's not the same!

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay

Silica sand is only available in Australia...others are coral sand, it's not the same!

ha I ment "here" as in the earth not jsut australia. Pretty sure most beach sands are mostly silica, because the quartz (SiO2) is the most resistant to weathering from the parent rock

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back