Silicon 6 (trace of sand in oil????)
shocked.gif

Calcium 1971
Mag 5
Phos 975
Zinc 1156

SUS V @ 210F 100.0
Flash 450F

That 6ppm of silicon in there isn't going to be dirt or sand, but instead it'll be antifoaming agents. A lot of oils show silicon in their VOAs, some as high as 10ppm even. Nothing to worry about at all.

Unless this oil uses some kind of ester and/or any other "unseen" additive, this oil seems to protect through the use of Zinc and plain old thick viscosity.

" ... this oil seems to protect through the use of zinc and plain old thick viscosity."

Yes. Terribly unimpressives stuff. Even the zinc & phosphorous levels aren't very impressive.
tongue.gif

--- Bror Jace

I agree! I doubt this oil uses much if any esters to help it protect. It seems it has a very fancy racing name without the very fancy racing additives.
nono.gif

Look up the Mobil 1 R VOA....that's what a racing oil would look like. There is a UOA of some specialty oil Terry posted in a thread were M1R was being discussed. That stuff had even more additives than M1R!

[ March 08, 2004, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
I agree! I doubt this oil uses much if any esters to help it protect. It seems it has a very fancy racing name without the very fancy racing additives.
nono.gif

Look up the Mobil 1 R VOA....that's what a racing oil would look like. There is a UOA of some specialty oil Terry posted in a thread were M1R was being discussed. That stuff had even more additives than M1R!

Can you recommend an alternative race oil that is more in the price range of VR-1? Kind of like comparing a Cavalier with a Corvette.
nono.gif
This VR-1 is readily available in my area and cost is $2.30/qt. I have not seen the M1 R at any shops in my area. What does it sell for?

quote:

Originally posted by quick_16:

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
nono.gif

Can you recommend an alternative race oil that is more in the price range of VR-1? Kind of like comparing a Cavalier with a Corvette.
nono.gif
This VR-1 is readily available in my area and cost is $2.30/qt. I have not seen the M1 R at any shops in my area. What does it sell for?

I disagree! If it says "racing" on the bottle, then I'd expect to get some racing adds. If I order a Corvette on line......I'm expecting to get a Vette.....not a cavalier. Any other 5W-30 brand of oil has a better additive package than this oil.
I say, go with any ohter 20W-50 like pennzoil or Castrol......or you can just keep on running Valvoline if that's what tickles your fancy.
wink.gif

quote:

]This VR-1 is readily available in my area and cost is $2.30/qt. [/QB]

Yup, and going by this VOA you are getting your moneys' worth.. so to speak.
tongue.gif

I too would expect an oil that has a "racing" moniker on the bottle to have some kind of "racing" additive package.. Well that's marketing for ya.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:

quote:

]This VR-1 is readily available in my area and cost is $2.30/qt.
Yup, and going by this VOA you are getting your moneys' worth.. so to speak.
tongue.gif

I too would expect an oil that has a "racing" moniker on the bottle to have some kind of "racing" additive package.. Well that's marketing for ya.
rolleyes.gif
[/QB]

Hey QUICK_LUDE
Is there some kind of helpful message in that or can it just be listed as bashing. As you can see I'm in the dark and trying to find my way. When I see notes like this I just wonder why? Your message implies that if I spend $2.3 per qt, I should expect garbage or perhaps your saying "Racing Oil" is an over used term. In any case, for me the message is not any help at all. Consider a more positive response like, this and that are too low or too high and/or brand XXX represents a better value for my racing needs....
nono.gif

I currently have some Valvoline 5w 30 in my car and it's quite smooth and my motor runs cooler. There has to be more to these oils than meets the eye. Caught me totlly by surprise. I didn't put it in by choice I just wanted a quick OCI from the local oil change/car wash.

Just spoke to a Valvoline tech rep and was told that zinc in this oil is 1300 to 1400 ppm, and phos is 1200. No moly.

cst@100 is 20.5

Either they've changed the formula to beef up the add pack, or they're BS'n us.
confused.gif

Haven't seen anyone complain about this formula in actual use as of yet...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back