VOA Joe Gibbs DRIVEN DT40 5W40

Hmmm, a 40 that tests as a 30 (12.5 is the 30/40 transition), and a decade+ old additive pack.

A bit yawn-worthy

Reactions: a5m
No, thanks. I'll pay 1/3 the price for Delo 5w40 and get more out of it.

Thanks for posting this analysis! I've always wondered what the much-hyped Joe Gibbs was really like.

JGR Oil is blended by Lubrizol. I am pretty certain they use XOM mPAO as the base oil. As far as additive packages go, it's hard to say because as we know not everything shows up in a VOA. They could be using ashless FMs that would not show up.

I'm not very impressed with the results. It touts on the bottle as having ZDDP, but the VOA zinc level is below that of an off-the-shelf Rotella T6 UOA. The T6 UOA also came out 2.7 (cSt) points higher with 8k miles on it with no oil added before the sample was drawn.

Originally Posted By: GermanAutohaus
I'm not very impressed with the results. It touts on the bottle as having ZDDP, but the VOA zinc level is below that of an off-the-shelf Rotella T6 UOA. The T6 UOA also came out 2.7 (cSt) points higher with 8k miles on it with no oil added before the sample was drawn.

High ZDDP for the intended application, ligh duty passenger engines, not medium and HD truck engines. Look at the nominal levels of ZDDP that M1 0w40 and 5w50 have compared to TDT. Though the 15w50 has 'em beat.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide-2016.pdf

Originally Posted By: Shannow
A bit yawn-worthy

You won't yawn when you see the high price. You might be rendered unconscious, though. To make matters worse, these guys claim they are the answer to every flat tappet engine concern, from big budget racers to the guy with the old beater (like me), except no one can answer why I should use an oil where a year's worth of oil changes costs more than cam and lifter replacement.

Even then, UOAs i've seen for M1s 5W40 has the zinc level on the heels of the DT40. A readily available oil vs a special order with a substantial price tag. When it's advertised as "European Sports Car Oil" and for "High output engines", it gives it somewhat of a hint as being a good track oil. I wish there were more UOAs for the DT40 and XP9.

Here is my voa from may 2021 from dt40. With the results from my enging I will continue to use it.

Attachments

• B07A79D9-6D9D-434A-AB68-A943B3A82555.jpeg
    B07A79D9-6D9D-434A-AB68-A943B3A82555.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 238
Back