VOA-ACDelco 19351882 PTU lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACDelco p/n 19351882 aka 10-4105 synthetic PTU lubricant used for my Buick Regal AWD. The PTU unit is made by AAM. Also used in the 2017+ Equinox etc from my research. I posted a DIY on changing the fluid on the Buick forum.

The bottle states it is a 75w-90 EP lubricant and has a list price of over $90/qt. I picked one up from my dealer for $55. The capacity is listed at 0.69qts. My goal of the VOA was to see if I could substitute a less-expensive commonly available gear lube. Thoughts?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So basically it is a 75W90 GL-4 gear lube similar to:

Amsoil MTG
Redline MT-90
Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90
Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS
ACDelco 10-4059 GL-4 75W-90 Manual Transmission Fluid
RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-90
LiquiMoly 75W-90 GL4

I was hoping to hear from you Mola! Thank you! Would you have any worries running a gear lube in this PTU? I know Ravenol has a new transfer case lube just for modern AWD systems in VAG, BMW, and JLR vehicles.

A reply from Amsoil says they do not have a lubricant for the specification.

Originally Posted by LotI
I was hoping to hear from you Mola! Thank you! Would you have any worries running a gear lube in this PTU? I know Ravenol has a new transfer case lube just for modern AWD systems in VAG, BMW, and JLR vehicles.

Does the bottle of the Lube from the dealer show any GL-X ratings?

AC Delco

This is an enhanced, specially formulated, full synthetic 75W90 hypoid gear lubricant. It helps provide improved performance and is custom formulated for use on American Axle products.
This product is specially designed for the GM, MH4, 6T70 automatic transmission. It also meets all of the performance requirements per MIL-PRF-2015E and GL-5.

Well from the additional data shown, disregard my prior list of MTL's. It appears any good synthetic of SAE 75W90 Grade with a GL-5 rating should work. This one comes to mind:

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2043.pdf

Thanks Mola. This fluid also meets GM spec 9985182 which is an old mineral based 80w-90 without a limited slip additive. The Amsoil was in my research along with Redline or others without LS additive. The add pack in Amsoil seems much more stout compared to the OE fluid, but I don't think that's a negative.

I can't believe they want over $90 a quart for such a basic synthetic oil. I don't know who the formulator is by the bottle as it doesn't have the usual Mobil container look.

Thanks Mola. This fluid also meets GM spec 9985182 which is an old mineral based 80w-90 without a limited slip additive. The Amsoil was in my research along with Redline or others without LS additive. The add pack in Amsoil seems much more stout compared to the OE fluid, but I don't think that's a negative.

I can't believe they want over $90 a quart for such a basic synthetic oil. I don't know who the formulator is by the bottle as it doesn't have the usual Mobil container look.

I would surmise that the actual cost of base oil and additive package per quart amounts to about $4.00.

Last edited:
I just refilled with the OEM fluid so I'm not due for a while. Maybe they will come to their senses and drop the price to a reasonable level since there are already thousands if not millions of these PTU's on the road!

I found a few candidates that do not have the limited slip additive but are GL-5.

Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90
Redline 75w-90NS
Ravenol VSG
Mobil Delvac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back