Vehicle Sighting - 1962 Pontiac Parisienne

Laurentian ? Are you sure that wasn't the type of seat leather ? ;)
While we’re on the topic of Corinthian, what do the words Centrum and Spectrum mean when used in the context of arenas…I never understood those words…🙂

Why did GM feel the need to sell chevys with Pontiac badging and a different name in Canada? Was there some type of marketing issue/strategy to be gained?
I'm sure why, but here are a few random thoughts about GM in Canada back in the day:

It seems to me that Pontiac punched well above its weight here in Canada. I'd like to see the 1960s sales figures for Canada and the U.S. to confirm.

I wonder whether the Chevys and Pontiacs were produced on the same line in Canada but different lines in the U.S.?

GM dealerships were typically of two types - Chev/Olds/Cadillac, and Pontiac/Buick/GMC.

My dad taught me the pecking order was Caddy, Buick, Olds, Poncho, Chevy. I guess many would argue about #’S 2&3.

Here it is 2024 and I aspire to a 2025-26 Chevy Tahoe. I was always an underachiever 😆
Your dad was correct.

For what it's worth, I don't like bling, and so generally preferred the cleaner Chevys to the other divisions

We had a 68 Pontiac Laurentian, another Canadian Pontiac. It had a 283 and no A/C. The next one was a 76 Pontiac Catalina with a 350 and 3 speed auto. That thing was an absolute land yacht.
'68 was always my favourite year of full-size Pontiac.

Did your '68 still have the 283? I thought '67 was the last year.

A friend in high school had a very battered '68 Strato Chief - it had the 327, which I assumed was Pontiac's base V8 for '68. (Full-size Chevys had the 307 as their base V8 that year.)

'68 was always my favourite year of full-size Pontiac.

Did your '68 still have the 283? I thought '67 was the last year.

A friend in high school had a very battered '68 Strato Chief - it had the 327, which I assumed was Pontiac's base V8 for '68. (Full-size Chevys had the 307 as their base V8 that year.)
That may be. We took delivery of it in the summer of 68. It certainly could have been a left over 67.

I'm sure why, but here are a few random thoughts about GM in Canada back in the day:

It seems to me that Pontiac punched well above its weight here in Canada. I'd like to see the 1960s sales figures for Canada and the U.S. to confirm.

I wonder whether the Chevys and Pontiacs were produced on the same line in Canada but different lines in the U.S.?

GM dealerships were typically of two types - Chev/Olds/Cadillac, and Pontiac/Buick/GMC.
Any models from Canada are much sought after by a lot of classic car people. Many are getting super rare these days. The US Chevy Chevelle's Canadian brother called the Beaumont is highly sought after as well as any Pontiac mates. I love em all. :)

The Pontiac name maybe had more cultural significance in Canada? Pontiac was an anti English dude if I remember my history correctly. Might have made them more popular in French Canadian areas?

I came across this listing of small block Chevys. I do recall seeing 307’s In full size Chevy’s and assume they were the base V-8 until 73. The 305 didn’t come around until 76. One interesting application was the Chevy Monza Spyder. The 302’s were Camaro engines I believe. Another quirk was that the 400 was a small block but there was a big block 396 that eventually became a 402. The large displacement “small blocks” were more aftermarket engines. I don’t want to stir the pot on this one. Enjoy.

65793159-675A-4C01-86FA-A9310C97629A.jpg

Last edited:
Back