Valvoline VR-1 10W-30 Reformulation VOA

Been using this for many years in my 66 Shelby GT350. Noticed some dramatic differences in several elements the last 2 years, suspected these were due to a reformulation so ordered a VOA, suspicions confirmed...

VR1 10W30-VOA_200603.jpg

Been using this for many years in my 66 Shelby GT350. Noticed some dramatic differences in several elements the last 2 years, suspected these were due to a reformulation so ordered a VOA, suspicions confirmed...

What have you been noticing?

Typical Blackstone reporting low. The ZDDP concentration should be in the 1200-1400 ppm range. Otherwise, I don't see the issue. Even if that ZDDP concentration was accurate, that's not an issue except for the most extreme of environments.

VR1 is essentially just conventional white bottle Valvoline that's been top treated with some additional ZDDP.

What have you been noticing?

Additive package changes, big increases in Titanium, magnesium (which were essentially 0), and boron, Smaller increase in molybdenum. Also large decrease in sodium.

Typical Blackstone reporting low. The ZDDP concentration should be in the 1200-1400 ppm range. Otherwise, I don't see the issue. Even if that ZDDP concentration was accurate, that's not an issue except for the most extreme of environments.

VR1 is essentially just conventional white bottle Valvoline that's been top treated with some additional ZDDP.

Don't think the slightly lower zinc is due to Blackstone but to the formulation change. Prior to that zinc was always reported at ~1300.

Additive package changes, big increases in Titanium, magnesium (which were essentially 0), and boron, Smaller increase in molybdenum. Also large decrease in sodium.

Don't think the slightly lower zinc is due to Blackstone but to the formulation change. Prior to that zinc was always reported at ~1300.

What have you noticed with its performance in the engine? I have several engines local to me running this oil with no ill effects after the reformulation. One of them is an NHRA Stock Eliminator flat tappet cam engine with extreme lobe intensity.

I saw a VOA of it right after the formula changed and the zinc was >1400 ppm with phosphorus at >1200 ppm. Regardless, I wouldn't be worried about it.

I made a side-by-side comparison of the old and new formula based on that VOA.

47352437_2216090971764103_1402519371485544448_o.jpg

What have you noticed with its performance in the engine? I have several engines local to me running this oil with no ill effects after the reformulation. One of them is an NHRA Stock Eliminator flat tappet cam engine with extreme lobe intensity.

I saw a VOA of it right after the formula changed and the zinc was >1400 ppm with phosphorus at >1200 ppm. Regardless, I wouldn't be worried about it.

I made a side-by-side comparison of the old and new formula based on that VOA.

Nice chart! Thanks for posting.

I haven't noticed any changes in wear test results or performance since the change. What initially caught my eye was the sudden increase in titanium. Wonder if they're substituting some titanium in place of zinc as an anti-wear?

It looks like the graph is incorrect, the zinc and phosphorus should be much less for the new formulation compared to what is shown. And I don't see titanium listed as an ingredient in the graph.

Back