Valvoline VO25 cut open(about a decade old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small stash(10 or so left) of these in the basement from many years ago.

This would be the equivalent to a(from my scribblings on the case):
Purolator L10241
Fram PH3614
ChampLabs PH2835

Filter was manufactured by ChampLabs

This was actually cut open in the spring of this year and has been out in the garage since. Pics were taken today, the small amount of surface rust are a result of being out in the garage since being cut open.

Yes these filters do get used and have not had any issues.

Note the upfront bypass valve.

Images are clickable to full res image.

doesn't look too bad...
makes me feel a little better about all those years using the local Valvoline instant shop and their house brand filters.

in fact, that's the model that fits/was on my neon the couple times they changed it, before i started doing it myself..

Absolutely nothing wrong with the design of that filter. Champ labs went with the E-Core to save themselves some money, but should have stayed with the design that is shown here.

in fact if i weren't already Stashed up several years ahead on (Bosch & Wix) filters, i might ask what you would want for them...

Originally Posted By: flstffxe

Note the upfront bypass valve.

Hummm ... interesting bypass valve up front. It looks built in to the base plate instead of a unit that fits into the hole in the base plate like on a WIX.

As noted, looks Champ made. Bypass design similar to majority M1 filters now that use integral thread end bypass. Not implying the filter media is the same as M1 though. Likely closer to current STP filter media in that respect.

Thanks for the pics.

Cool.

I remember this style of filter. Would be interesting to run a functional test on it to see if it would still meet its original design standards.

Is that a 2000 date code? Or am I assuming incorrectly.

Media and aged Nitrile would be the issues. I'm not sure exactly what happens to cellulose media over 12 (I presume) years butIn 2000, a good "average" fitler was about 80% @ 20 um, or worse. The average filters of today are doing 95% @ 20 these days.

The Nitrile ADBV... who knows. Is it still pliable (compare it to a new one)?

I wouldn't be afraid to use this filter, even at it's advanced age ( : < ), but I'm not sure I would want to take the downgrade in performance. Of course by the time I get around to using the Ultras (99+% @ 20 um) I have recently vacuum packed, much better filters may have come to market making them obsolete.

Last edited:
For the date code 2000 would be about right so I will assume we are reading it right. It would have been '00 or '01 that I acquired the filters.

The ADBV, bypass valve seal and gasket are all still as pliable as any of the other filters I have cut.

As I said, I do use them. They still get used on a neighbors K car some other equipment. Have yet to have an issue and the ones that I have cut after use look no worse then any other filter.

Nostalgic. Great post!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back