Valvoline Synpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not used it, but when I compared the commonly available 5w20 synthetics this one came out the best of the lot. Best flash point, pour point, CCS, and MRV.

5w20SR1.jpg

They are as current as what the mfg posts on their website. Suspect that Castrol's is not very however, as a 5w20 does not make sense as an SL. In any case the specs Castrol post are next to useless in any case.

Thanks for the info, have written to Valvoline to find their basestock used, eg: ester, PAO's, hydrocracked...
No answer unfortunately.

I looked up the 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 MSDS here and could make no sense of them, especially the 5w30. It does not add up, but perhaps others with more experience could help. I don't know how they can get away with this. Only the 5w20 could make sense.

http://msds.ashland.com/

Last time I looked at the MSDS's for Synpower, all were Group III, but the 20w50 was PAO per CAS number. If you are going for a 30 weight oil, you might consider Maxlife Synthetic.

Quote:

Has anyone had experience with this oil? Curious as it is 5 to 7 dollars cheaper than Mobile 1 at the walmarts here in Canada.

Are you sure you were comparing the right oils. I was at Canadian Tire this am, and Synpower was 7.99 qt compared to Mobil 1 at 8.99 liter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back