Valvoline Synpower 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likely one of the least-discussed "major brand" synthetics on this forum. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this oil now that it is a synthetic price leader (5 qt jug) at WalMart? How's it stack up against QSUD, for example?

I generally prefer sopus products or m1 over valvoline, but if the price was actually better than those.. I'd consider it.

since the price is higher (QSUD) or nearly the same (m1/PP)

I'll pass.

I don't search it out however when it goes on rollback I buy it.

It's one of those oils that doesn't get much fanfare but does well as per the used oil analysis posted here.
I'm a sopus fan and usually stock up when pennzoil is on sale however I wouldn't think twice about using valvoline either.

Used it exclusively in my Mazda for at least the past 5 years or so. I had a bunch of it from past sales/rebates and am finally down to only a few quarts that I am mixing with Nextgen. Never did a UOA and never had an issue with it. I generally did 7500 mile changes with a M1 or P1 filter. The price point is now pretty high unless you catch it on sale. I would buy again if I didn't have a 5+ year of oil stashed away.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Valvoline SynPower is a decent oil but below average compared to most name brand syn oils
such as QSUD.

How so? I've used it a few times and it performed flawlessly. I honestly haven't really noticed a difference amongst brands of synthetic in my Acura at all. They all feel the same to me.
21.gif
my UOAs have all been consistent as well.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
valvoline is one of the better synthetics out there based on oil analysis...

... if only oil analysis could tell us which oil is better.

Valvoline is one annoying oil company,they make great product often ahead. Of the other by a huge time table but even with oil analysis you often end up with more question then answers.they re often even ahead of amzoil and as we know amzoil tend to be in the pack of leader on that front.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Valvoline SynPower is a decent oil but below average compared to most name brand syn oils
such as QSUD.

How so? I've used it a few times and it performed flawlessly. I honestly haven't really noticed a difference amongst brands of synthetic in my Acura at all. They all feel the same to me.
21.gif

Lower additive levels and inferior in practically every measure compared to QSUD that the OP made reference to.
That doesn't mean the oil isn't up to the task in your application or others, it is as I mentioned a decent API oil but that wasn't the question.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
such as QSUD.

21.gif

Lower additive levels and inferior in practically every measure compared to QSUD that the OP made reference to.
That doesn't mean the oil isn't up to the task in your application or others, it is as I mentioned a decent API oil but that wasn't the question.

Is it possible that Valvoline uses other additives that people don't even test for? Has every additive that will ever be used in a motor oil already been discovered? Just asking.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

Is it possible that Valvoline uses other additives that people don't even test for? Has every additive that will ever be used in a motor oil already been discovered? Just asking.

I've wondered that before with Valvoline. Valvoline's additive packages often looks weaker then other oils, but it tends to put up very good UOAs. So I question if there's an additive that they're not testing or reporting that helps the oil do its job.

I am now convinced that ANY brand name oil, in the appropriate grade/weight, will work perfectly well in 99 % of the applications out there... !

Yes, there are exceptions / climate factors... but MOST cars don't care... clean oil / correct grade = indifferent engine.

I believe the marketing has become the major difference between most brands...!

Last edited:
A better explanation to the "weak additive" level of Valvoline is that it still does the job with it's lower AW levels and the lower TBN is more than satisfactory in most situations.

What many don't realize is that once an engine's lubrication requirements have been met, a more expensive "better" oil isn't going to give any better results unless the "better" attributes are required.

A better explanation to the "weak additive" level of Valvoline is that it still does the job with it's lower AW levels and the lower TBN is more than satisfactory in most situations.

What many don't realize is that once an engine's lubrication requirements have been met, a more expensive "better" oil isn't going to give any better results unless the "better" attributes are required.

Do you have a specific example of an engine requiring " better" attributes...?

The most common seem to be very long OCI 's (MERC / BMW ) and various diesel's...

Synpower, like every Valvoline PCMO, uses an entirely different add pack as compared to M1 or any SOPUS oil.
UOAs show good results with this oil and oil life for the API SN formulation appears to be the equal of any other OTS syn.
I've used it in the past and will likely buy it again, although as with any other oil I currently buy, it would have to be FAR.
I have around five quarts of Synpower left.
Maybe I'll dump it in the Focus and run it until the end of November, at which time the car will get some FAR Ultra 5W-20 for the coming winter.

If you own a direct injection equipped vehicle, it may be an excellent choice. It was third in the TEOST test (cheapest of the top three) and has a Noack under 11. These results according to AMSOIL testing. Many here feel the TEOST test is more important than Noack in D.I. (up for debate).

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
If you own a direct injection equipped vehicle, it may be an excellent choice. It was third in the TEOST test (cheapest of the top three) and has a Noack under 11. These results according to AMSOIL testing. Many here feel the TEOST test is more important than Noack in D.I. (up for debate).

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

Synpower seemed to do well in many of those tests.

I plan on using Synpower in our '05 Highlander we just bought. I have used many of Valvolines other engine oils and gear oils and have been happy with them. I have never tried Synpower though.

Choosing to run longer OCIs is one example and since AW additives are depleted as oil is used, higher levels may be beneficial with long OCIs.

Then there is extreme usage such as track days so you may want higher AW levels.

For extreme cold starting, choosing an oil with very low MRV/CCS spec's may be worthwhile.

Or choosing an oil with a high VI to maximize fuel economy or to improve cold driveability.

And you if have a DI engine with known intake tract deposit issue, you may want to choose an oil with a known low TEOST deposit test score.

So there are lots of reasons why one may want to choose an oil with certain exemplary attributes but for normal regular use the cheapest API oil is usually up to the task.

Choosing to run longer OCIs is one example and since AW additives are depleted as oil is used, higher levels may be beneficial with long OCIs.

Then there is extreme usage such as track days so you may want higher AW levels.

For extreme cold starting, choosing an oil with very low MRV/CCS spec's may be worthwhile.

Or choosing an oil with a high VI to maximize fuel economy or to improve cold driveability.

And you if have a DI engine with known intake tract deposit issue, you may want to choose an oil with a known low TEOST deposit test score.

So there are lots of reasons why one may want to choose an oil with certain exemplary attributes but for normal regular use the cheapest API oil is usually up to the task.

Very clear and concise checklist Caterham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back