Valvoline Modern Engine 5w30 VOA

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
So, All Climate Modern Engine is the syn-blend... correct?

I don’t see a All Climate oil on their website.

If I had to guess, the SA of this oil is probably around .8-.9. They aren't using a lot of MoDTC or any other visible metallic additives. As I said in another thread, this oil and Mobil 1 AP/EP are your best bet for GDI engines IMO.

Originally Posted by buster
If I had to guess, the SA of this oil is probably around .8-.9. They aren't using a lot of MoDTC or any other visible metallic additives. As I said in another thread, this oil and Mobil 1 AP/EP are your best bet for GDI engines IMO.

I think Valvoline Modern Engine is a carbon deposit cleaner, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic is a carbon deposit preventer.

Honestly, that low hot viscosity number is why I stay away from a lot of oils. My truck seems to like it think to avoid clatter. I have found the ACDelco dexos full syn to work (sound great). The VOA shows high end of viscosity scale. I am pretty sure its just Mobil Super Synthetic by the way. Mobil 1, surprisingly, is a little louder.

Another even thicker 5w30 is Quaker State Ultimate Durability. I like it over Mobil Super Syn, which my S10 drank quite heavily.

I'm guessing the new, modern 2020 Silverado's would prefer the Modern Engine and low viscosity 0w20.

" I think Valvoline Modern Engine is a carbon deposit cleaner, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic is a carbon deposit preventer."

Wouldn't this be the opposite? Would think the Modern Engine formula would be for newest vehicles so would be more focused on preventive measures. Conversely would think the Advanced formula would focus on cleaning older engine deposits-
Maybe though your point was there is less carbon deposits with non-Gdi engines so prevention is better choice since active cleaning is not needed.

Originally Posted by spiderbypass

" I think Valvoline Modern Engine is a carbon deposit cleaner, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic is a carbon deposit preventer."

Wouldn't this be the opposite? Would think the Modern Engine formula would be for newest vehicles so would be more focused on preventive measures. Conversely would think the Advanced formula would focus on cleaning older engine deposits-
Maybe though your point was there is less carbon deposits with non-Gdi engines so prevention is better choice since active cleaning is not needed.

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic is a much newer formulation than Modern Engine. Checking the specs on Valvoline's PI sheets it appears that Advanced Synthetic, no matter what viscosity, has low values for NOACK, VII, KV100, sulfated ash, etc all things that contribute to lower carbon buildup according to many experts.

Valvoline Modern Engine has lower SAPS and, according to Valvoline claims, a detergent that can break up carbon deposits after they form.

would 5W30 in these oils you mention still be best in the oil brands you mention ? I believe you previously were referencing 0W20.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
would 5W30 in these oils you mention still be best in the oil brands you mention ? I believe you previously were referencing 0W20.

Not sure what your question is. I think for a GDI engine, Valvoline Modern Engine is a very good choice.

Originally Posted by Ignatius

I think Valvoline Modern Engine is a carbon deposit cleaner, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic is a carbon deposit preventer.

None of them clean IVD's. VME is a formulation using a unique detergent system and also has a low SA to help prevent IVD's. Looks anemic but it's not.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Looks low detergents to me.

On par with other SN oils. B/S Labs isn't the most accurate either.

It's not the SA or base oil quality that they claim helps reduce the IVD's. It's the specific detergent.

I came across an old post talking about Mg/Ca. Mg can leave more deposits behind, but is a good dispersant for soot. So in looking at this oil, they lowered the Mg quite a bit.

Back