Valvoline Modern Engine 5w30 VOA

e8pvzGG.jpg

Thanks for posting. This is a great example of why a voa will not tell the whole story about a oil. Price aside, you can run this with no worries.

Moly for VME. VAS has moly, boron and titanium. It is a sharp departure away from the sodium based Synpower.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Moly for VME. VAS has moly, boron and titanium. It is a sharp departure away from the sodium based Synpower.

PimTac: excuse my ignorance; but is Advanced Synthetic replacing the Synpower?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: car51

Thanks in advance

It appears to be their new labeling. Synpower is gone. The new d1G2 specs must have printed them to change their naming.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
No TBN.. bangs fist on table..

I'm sorry!! I should have requested it.

Thanks for posting this VOA. While it's now a LSPI friendly oil due to the reduced calcium and increased magnesium and the elimination of sodium it's viscosity seems low to start out with. It doesn't have much before it shears into a 20 weight oil, especially in a turbo engine. I know my Ford EcoBoost 2.3 shears the oil while maintaining the flash point and seemingly not showing fuel dilution. My last ~4,300 mile UOA with Motorcraft 5W-30 sheared well into the 20 weight bracket while maintaining it's flash point and not showing fuel dilution. It had a remaining TBN of 3.6, lots of life left in the oil, but now out of viscosity grade.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
No TBN.. bangs fist on table..

If its that big a deal why don't you send Blackstone the extra $10 and ask them to re-test the sample.
grin.gif

Thank you to the OP for taking your time and money to contribute to the forum's knowledge base.

Originally Posted By: car51

Thanks in advance

It appears to be their new labeling. Synpower is gone. The new d1G2 specs must have printed them to change their naming.

The VFS 5W30 I bought recently actually showed up as Synpower on my WM receipt...I think even the Valvoline website says this line was formerly Synpower.
I'm pretty sure I saw Synpower jugs with the d1G2 logo, but they sure didn't last long. Probably was a good chance to score some fine oil for cheap when they cleared those out for the incoming VFS jugs.

That sounds about right. When I purchased my VAS at Walmart both the Advanced Synthetic and Synpower were on the shelves. The 0w20 was VAS but the other grades were Synpower. Same pricing.

It seems to me that Valvoline took this opportunity with the new formulation to change their labeling and bottles. It didn’t happen all at the same time though which might confuse some of us bitogers.

Interesting how Valvoline Syn Dexos 1 Gen 2, which is a 'modern engine' formulation, uses 200+ ppm of Boron, and Ti.

Then they come out with this 'modern engine' formulation with less in it???

Both are Dexos 1 Gen 2, why have the same thing done so different?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Interesting how Valvoline Syn Dexos 1 Gen 2, which is a 'modern engine' formulation, uses 200+ ppm of Boron, and Ti.

Valvoline is pushing the VME as a solution to carbon buildup in DI engines, I guess how they actually do this is the big mystery.
Sometimes low SA oils (as VME seems to be) are considered to help limit overall deposits, but I don't know that they would necessarily have anything to do with carbon deposits in particular. The VME oils do not have extremely low NOACK losses (11-12%), so those wouldn't provide good low deposit arguments.
My only guess is that there is some special organic chemistry going on to help with the DI carbon deposit issue...???

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: addyguy

Valvoline is pushing the VME as a solution to carbon buildup in DI engines, I guess how they actually do this is the big mystery.
Sometimes low SA oils (as VME seems to be) are considered to help limit overall deposits, but I don't know that they would necessarily have anything to do with carbon deposits in particular. The VME oils do not have extremely low NOACK losses (11-12%), so those wouldn't provide good low deposit arguments.
My only guess is that there is some special organic chemistry going on to help with the DI carbon deposit issue...???

I think you are on the right track. As I recall there were previous discussions regarding Synpower and the possibility of something added that a analysis cannot pick up. It’s the same with M1 AP. The voa we saw were “unimpressive “. I’m sure the base oil has all the answers.

I still think it’s overpriced unless Valvoline comes out and says it’s full of esters and pao. Even then, it should be $30 max.

All valid comments, from a technical standpoint. Marketing rules though.
What's funny is that I wouldn't use this in a turbo and/or GDI engine since it starts out at a low KV100 when new, leaving little room for possible (probable!) fuel dilution in those types of engines. Of course they market this to turbo-GDI engines! Just strange.

To us, we can't see why we should pay more for this than Valvoline's other full-syns.
To most people in the store looking at the labels, they might fall for the marketer's language on the label saying this is for your turbo-GDI engine.

At least when Mobil comes up with a new flavor of M1, they state the benefit of going more miles. This VME doesn't do that.

As for the possble chemistry in there, I do wish Valvoline would give us something to justify this extra cost.
We can see that 79 ppm moly & low KV100 gets it to pass the FEI in the Sequence VID, and I really don't think they need any more FM (organic) to do it.
Without boron I'm not sure how enough cleaning is done, although that might indicate lots of PAO and esters are there to lower WPD.

It could be the anti-oxidant additives are powerful. Similar to what M1 AP claims on their website.

And what's with using only 2 ppm Ti? That does little to nothing. Dosing needs to be above 10 ppm according to all the patents on this and other oils' customary amounts.
Boron at 2 ppm does little as well.

Back