Valvoline Maxlife Antifreeze worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatMan
I'm honestly not quite sure. At the price of MaxLife, one could get green and a really nice additive for less. Seriously mulling over Schaeffer products right now, so if it can eliminate my transaxle stress whine, I may just throw their additive in for kicks and grins.

In regards to the flush, I'll be cycling out the old with distilled as you mentioned before replacing the pump and adding the coolant.
smile.gif

You doing a timing belt?

or just water pump?

Originally Posted By: SatMan
I'm honestly not quite sure. At the price of MaxLife, one could get green and a really nice additive for less.

I know you are thinking about a pump lubricant but I'm skeptical of the need for and effectiveness of such a product. IMO, using a quality AF should provide all the pump lubrication ingredients and properties one should need. Combined with a complete flush of the old, I don't see much advantage other than putting money in the maker/sellers pocket. But again, that's just me.

Anyway when you get to it, let us know what you choose.

Originally Posted By: David1
You doing a timing belt?

or just water pump?

Just the pump. The belt is under 6k still.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I know you are thinking about a pump lubricant but I'm skeptical of the need for and effectiveness of such a product. IMO, using a quality AF should provide all the pump lubrication ingredients and properties one should need. Combined with a complete flush of the old, I don't see much advantage other than putting money in the maker/sellers pocket. But again, that's just me.

Anyway when you get to it, let us know what you choose.

Sorry for not making it clearer, but there's no longer plans for adding a lubricant after having made the choice of replacing the pump. I'm thinking about going with a good basic one this time as a stop-gap until more research can be done after this weekend, but not 100% sure on even that yet.

Partially looking at a light cleansing of old buildup that takes time to break loose in addition to the protection more than anything.

I'm in way over my head right now, so digesting everything is in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back