Valvoline date code? and shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some nextgen maxlife from pep boys, $2/qt.
One of the date code is B2711H, the CS said it was manufactured in 2011.
Another is O201H, the CS did not give me the answer.

The oil is SN, so it could not be earlier than 2011?

I will use it in 2015 and 2016, any issue using a 5 years old oil??

Thanks

Motor oil doesn't really have a shelf life. 5-10 years would be no problem as long as the container is sealed.

Most of the big name oil producers will give a 5 year shelf life. At one time, Shell use to give a 10 years shelf life but has reeled that back to 5 years.

If stored properly, oil can easily go 10 years if not more. Blackstone actually did a series of vintage oil analysis from sealed cans they bought going back into the 1950's or more IIRC, other than settlement of additives, they all seem to have held viscosity grade and API spec for date they were manufactured.

The only real issue with old oil is the API or other advertised specifications the oil is listed as meeting, will become outdated if used in newer vehicles listing more modern specs.

I scored a mid 90's case of Pennzoil 5w-30 with Z7! I plan on using it in the 54 Plymouth or 91 Chevy 1500. Just gonna shake it up!

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Most of the big name oil producers will give a 5 year shelf life. At one time, Shell use to give a 10 years shelf life but has reeled that back to 5 years.

If stored properly, oil can easily go 10 years if not more. Blackstone actually did a series of vintage oil analysis from sealed cans they bought going back into the 1950's or more IIRC, other than settlement of additives, they all seem to have held viscosity grade and API spec for date they were manufactured.

The only real issue with old oil is the API or other advertised specifications the oil is listed as meeting, will become outdated if used in newer vehicles listing more modern specs.

For a long time, bottles did not have expiration dates.

I suspect they got tired of people calling them to ask and just decided on a set interval.

I used a 2008 VSP 5w-30 in the past few months across 2 cars. In between the 2 cars, I have ~7K on that oil.

While I cannot see the Engine internals, there are no obvious issues on terms of engine performance as such related to this old batch of oil.

I did have a quicker darkening of the VSP in my van, but I don't think it has anything to do with the oil itself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm

I suspect they got tired of people calling them to ask and just decided on a set interval.

My understanding it was more for liability and serviceability sake than anything. At some point, the oil companies have to draw the line where they will warrant their liability for the oil they produced and be held accountable for.

Can not expect any major oil company to address liability claim for some 20 year old oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back