Valvoline Conventional SAE-40 Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Pennzoil SAE-40 in my Intruder Motorcycle for 40K miles. No problems. However, it's getting REALLY hard to find. But, the local Kragen does carry conventional Valvoline SAE-40. I do know that several of Valvoline automotive oils, including their synthetic, racing and conventional multi-grades in the higher viscosities warn against use in motorcycles with wet clutches. What I haven't been able to find is anything that warns AGAINST the use of their mono-grade SAE-40 in a wet-clutch motorcycle.

Before I put the oil in my motorcycle, can anyone tell me that the same admonition holds true for the basic conventional SAE-40, or is it OK to use in a wet-clutch motorcycle?

If it's working for you over 40k miles, I'd say keep using it.

BTW, if you can't find it at some point, most NAPA stores carry NAPA SAE 40 (made by Ashland).

Welp, I sent a message to Valvoline Central asking the question, and they said do NOT use their SAE-40 automobile oil in a wet-clutch motorcycle engine since they put the same additives in ALL of their automobile oils regardless of viscosity. I had remembered, just in time, the one time I bought the Valvoline Syntech 20W-50 for my motorcycle only to later see an admonition NOT to use that oil in a motorcycle with a wet clutch.

I've already returned the oil to Kragen. I'm going to try doing a better search for a supplier of Pennzoil SAE-40 which I've been using to date with excellent results (no apparent engine wear and still no clutch problems at 40K miles).

Valvoline is made by Ashland, so the Napa stuff would probably be just as non-conforming.

Last edited:
Why not just run the Valvoline bike specific oil in SG/SH/SJ? 3.50/quart, plenty of zinc for the gears, undoubtedly a great base oil to begin with, what's not to like? Don't forget, your oil is lubing your gearset, too.

Think 40k miles has answered your own question? The only time straight 40's and 50's haven't worked for me is real cold mornings where cranking is slowed and clutch drags more till warmed up. On high compression engines with marginal battery and starters a switch to multigrades is very noticable. One exception was redline race 40 which was in our ducatis, it cranked fine when cold. Can't see 40w being an issue in sandyeggo.

Originally Posted By: Gary in Sandy Eggo
I've been using Pennzoil SAE-40 in my Intruder Motorcycle for 40K miles. No problems. However, it's getting REALLY hard to find. But, the local Kragen does carry conventional Valvoline SAE-40. I do know that several of Valvoline automotive oils, including their synthetic, racing and conventional multi-grades in the higher viscosities warn against use in motorcycles with wet clutches. What I haven't been able to find is anything that warns AGAINST the use of their mono-grade SAE-40 in a wet-clutch motorcycle.

Before I put the oil in my motorcycle, can anyone tell me that the same admonition holds true for the basic conventional SAE-40, or is it OK to use in a wet-clutch motorcycle?

Valvoline also told us not to run their VR1 in our motorcycles... but it's turned out to be one of the best motorcycle oils we've tried...

In short, as strange as it may sound, the folks at Valvoline and elsewhere who field these calls really don't know what they're talking about. They just read off the cards placed in front of them.

The average BITOG member knows more about oil than these so called "techs" at Valvoline, Havoline, Pennzoil, etc...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back