Valvoline 5W30 SN/GF-5, 4628 miles, 2008 Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but I have no idea how to do the "code text" thing. So I'll just type it out.

2008 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L iron block.
55,511 miles; 4628 miles on oil and filter.
5W30 SN/GF-5 Valvoline Premium (no make up oil).
PureOne oil filter.
GM air filter with approximately 15K miles.
Fuel unknown (my daughter is cheap and broke...so you figure it out) because she won't give me a straight answer.
Fuel additive was LE L-X 2300 used every 1500 miles.
Code:

Iron 12

Copper 37

Tin 0

Lead 13

Chromium 1

Nickel 0

Aluminum 1

Titanium 0

Silver 0

Calcium 1599

Magnesium 10

Zinc 787

Phosphorus 563

Barium 0

Molybdenum 6

Antimony 0

Silicon 14

Sodium 89

Boron 7

Potassium 0

Vanadium 0

V40C 56.0

V100C 9.4

TAN 2.23

Flash 355F

Oxidation 16

Nitration 10

KF# 473

TBN 1.7

Fuel% 0.953

Soot 0

Glycol 0

Viscosity index 151

Sulfate by-product 23

OLM 45% remaining

I did this sample for my daughter because I think her power train warranty is about to expire. So I guess you could say it's a Father's Day present?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure Valvoline 5W-30 meets ILSAC GF-5? I just looked at the Valvoline website and the PDS (Product Data Sheet) states "Meets ILSAC GF-4". Seems GF-5 was a recent transition among MOST suppliers.

I'm not sure Valvoline was suppling GF-5 when you put this oil in the engine (I assume several months ago). Case in point: I put Valvoline SynPower in my Accord this past January - it was ILSAC GF-4.

Ahh yes the fairy dust: plus olm at 45% and the tbn is????
Originally Posted By: Mark72
lots of invisible additives in there.

Yes, it was SN/GF-5. Atleast that's what it said on the 5 quart jug (Walmart). In fact, it's on it's second fill already (5 quart bottles with filter for $17.99 at O'Reilly last month).

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Ahh yes the fairy dust: plus olm at 45% and the tbn is????
Originally Posted By: Mark72
lots of invisible additives in there.

Yea, I brought up the WEAK add. pack before and had to get the suit on.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
is sodium an additive in this oil?

Yea; Valvoline has used sodium in all of their motor oils for a few years now, although the data sheets list it at well over 300 ppm.

Yes, it is flex fuel engine and I think it does have some sort of variable valve timing going on.

What problems are there with this engine? This UOA seems to indicate to me at least that it's working just fine. The OLM is a joke though. I hope other owners aren't taking that thing seriously.

Yes, this is an AFM equipped 5.3, and yes they are having problems. Faulty lifters, leaky PCV valve seals (resulting in high oil consumption).

Our 09 5.3 AFM, albeit an aluminum block, is scheduled to have the lifters replaced in a few weeks as they rattle like a bucket of bolts in the cold. We have also developed the dreaded oil consumption and have started a consumption log with the dealer. All this after not burning a drop for the first 25k.

This does however confirm my suspicion the OLM is set to go too long in these motors. My wife, the primary driver on ours, does super short trips 2 miles to work each day. She is still on target for an 8k OCI according to the OLM. Your motor pretty well trashed this oil in half that time.

Thanks for the report!

I tried to find the PCV valve on the engine and I can't find it. I've even checked on line and at AP stores and there doesn't seem to be a listing for one.

So far, the engine seems to be running great. No consumption or noises. The only thing my daughter has complained about recently is a popping sound when she makes slow left hand turns. It doesn't do anything when I drive it though, so it's a mystery for me on how to fix it.

The fuel dilution is actually much lower than I was expecting. If this was a Blackstone report, it would have been listed as
Thanks for the inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back