Valve cover gasket - cork or rubber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kidding about the cork right?

Use a new rubber seal or get RTV crazy on the old VC gasket...

If they are for your 1970 Camaro and you have old stamped steel valve covers, you made need the cork ones to prevent any leaks. The cork valve cover gaskets tend to be slightly more forgiving in terms of not having a perfectly flat surface.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
If they are for your 1970 Camaro and you have old stamped steel valve covers, you made need the cork ones to prevent any leaks. The cork valve cover gaskets tend to be slightly more forgiving in terms of not having a perfectly flat surface.

yes, agreed.

In fact: some cheeply made rubber gaskets tend to become more inferior when compared to cork varieties....they fail far sooner than a decent/half decent cork gasket material.

Q.

Fel-Pro has not let me down for these kinds of engines. Some are cork/rubber and some are fiber/rubber. Buy the most expensive ones you can. My old Pontiac (1972) had that four bolt arrangement on the valve covers. I had much better luck adding a set of aftermarket tension spreaders. The Chevy engine may already have them, or use more than just four bolts.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: Kool1

yes, agreed.

In fact: some cheeply made rubber gaskets tend to become more inferior when compared to cork varieties....they fail far sooner than a decent/half decent cork gasket material.

But also remember that there are multiple levels when it comes to the quality of the cork gasket. Just because it is cork doesn't mean that it is the best gasket to use on the '70 Camaro.

If you can't decide go with tuff-cork from victor-reinz. They are made of a cork and urethane mix, and has advantages that neither offer..

I haven't seen a "cork" gasket in recent years that was not bits of cork and some kind of rubber. Sounds like there are plenty of good choices.

Yes its for my 70 Camaro and I was looking at Fel-Pro which makes both rubber and cork. I am not familiar with victor-reinz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back