VAG gasolinegate?

Apple translated it right in my browser. It’s one of those dumb cookie window pop ups that makes it confusing.

I find it remarkable that Audi/VAG could be so flamboyantly stupid.

Here comes another slap on the wrist and a stern "No, bad!"

Supposedly Audi used the same emission algorithm on their gas cars as on their diesels to decrease output while being tested.

There is a thread from a Passat owner on VWVortex about this; the recall letter was posted. It's titled "Emissions Service Action 24EZ".

If it's indeed another cheating scandal, this time with gasoline powered engines...

Scott

This could be massive if true - the 2.0T is pretty much the standard engine in everything from the VW Golf to the Audi Q7. Dieselgate was supposed to be a one off - if this gasser 2.0T cheating comes true its going to open a huge can of worms for VWAG and I imagine every single last one of their engines will be under scrutiny.

There is a thread from a Passat owner on VWVortex about this; the recall letter was posted. It's titled "Emissions Service Action 24EZ".

If it's indeed another cheating scandal, this time with gasoline powered engines...
If it's the same action as 24GB I don't think it is an actual recall (yet), despite them using the word in the letter.

This could be massive if true - the 2.0T is pretty much the standard engine in everything from the VW Golf to the Audi Q7. Dieselgate was supposed to be a one off - if this gasser 2.0T cheating comes true its going to open a huge can of worms for VWAG and I imagine every single last one of their engines will be under scrutiny.
Given the situation with Dieselgate, I would have thought their entire engine lineup would have been put under a microscope. If this is indeed a Gasolinegate scenario, it could damage the brand beyond repair.

Scott

I find it remarkable that Audi/VAG could be so flamboyantly stupid.

Here comes another slap on the wrist and a stern "No, bad!"

Billions in fines and seven, 10 years in jail is not entirely a "slap on the wrist" - maybe in absolute $$ terms. BUT: There's one executive already doing a seven year stretch in a federal penitentiary in the US, and more to come. Possibly many more.

Winterkorn, the VW head is going to trial in Germany and facing 10 years. Audi's (former) CEO Stadler has already spent several months in prison (to prevent evidence destruction), and his trial finally started about 10 days ago.

Many others are charged and heading to trial. Justice is slow but it's happening. The US media ignores it, but the international press covers it. In June this year, the ninth circuit approved US states individual right to sue, so now the company will have to face multiple new US legal challenges. Which I think is GOOD, because in that sense you are correct, the absolute $$ they have paid in fines is a wrist slap (a year or two's operating profit, but nothing that REALLY hurts).

But putting a number of auto industry royalty like Winterkorn in jail will really get a message across. A lot of this flies under the media radar.

I still wonder why 'diesel gate' was a big deal. If VW succumbs again their sales will plummet, good time to pick up a new 7th gen Golf real cheap.

Eric Peters explains why diesel gate was a nothin' burger;

They lied about it... yes “up to” 40 times the relatively small amount of pollutants they’re allowed to emit is still a small amount, it doesn’t change the fact they lied about it for years.

I worked for VW of America for about 4 years along time ago and they were a very stand up company. What they were penalized for was not so much a prevarication but a 'rules infraction'. Totally unwarranted when the consequences were totaled up.

Everyone else had to spend the money to meet the actual number and setting the health issue aside VAG got to skip it all while everyone else was burdened with the pesky rules which affect model performance which made their offering less deisrirable etc.

Everyone else had to spend the money to meet the actual number and setting the health issue aside VAG got to skip it all while everyone else was burdened with the pesky rules which affect model performance which made their offering less deisrirable etc.
Everyone was cheating so don't kid yourself.

VAG just got caught first and could afford to pay.

Everyone was cheating so don't kid yourself.

VAG just got caught first and could afford to pay.

One example...

...but still could be a severe blackeye coming on the heels of dieselgate.

Last edited:
Back