USPS Insurance When Shown as Delivered

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
I have not had one of these beauties in years.
Rural area Priority Mail insured for $300
Gets there in 3 days no delays on time no surprises. (yet)
Says delivered to mailbox. Great.

Customer emails me and says I never got it.
I instruct him what to do as I have to wait a few days to file the claim.
Of course, all of this is my fault as usual because I own and operate USPS.

The PO was contacted right away in case the item was delivered to the wrong address
The address on the parcel was correct and everything else done correctly.

I warned the customer that it says delivered and I doubt they will make good on it.
Of course, they usually come after me because I took their $$$
I always tell them to go to their CC or PayPal and I will abide by the decision.
Can't get any better than that.

Have you had this situation and did insurance pay?

Not answering your question directly, but when the USPS delivers a package it is time and GPS stamped so they know exactly where it was placed. When I had that happen once, despite saying it was delivered to the customer the GPS said different and the post office acted on that information.
That is great to know. Thank you.

Never had this situation as a seller, would ship with signature required for anything worth more than a few dozen bucks.

Did have this situation as a buyer, new TV showed delivered but not to me, they stated something about dropped off at a dock somewhere which is not here. Seller reshipped a replacement TV, original was never found. This was UPS not USPS.

Weird things going on. We received a package by UPS yesterday addressed to a woman named Chelsea in a town 50 miles from us. Cindy called UPS and they said bring it to the local office which seemed strange. My wife is a QVC fanatic so we get packages all the time and she knows al the carriers.
USPS driver shows up right after so Cindy fills her in. Driver scans it and says it shows it is ours but due to the address takes it with her. I was amazed that USPS shared scans with UPS.

Never had this situation as a seller, would ship with signature required for anything worth more than a few dozen bucks.

Did have this situation as a buyer, new TV showed delivered but not to me, they stated something about dropped off at a dock somewhere which is not here. Seller reshipped a replacement TV, original was never found. This was UPS not USPS.
Agreed
Most hate the signature requirement and I get reamed I had to drive 30 minutes to pick it up, but it is really a great safeguard.
I had $2000 worth of product I sent to my vendor. They called and said we never got it.
I told them so and so signed for it. Well so and so got fired that day and took it home but he was on camera.
True story.

Agreed
Most hate the signature requirement and I get reamed I had to drive 30 minutes to pick it up, but it is really a great safeguard.
I had $2000 worth of product I sent to my vendor. They called and said we never got it.
I told them so and so signed for it. Well so and so got fired that day and took it home but he was on camera.
True story.
What products do you sell? Maybe you mentioned before but I may be missing out on some great items.

I used to sell alot on ebay. The way I understand their buyer/seller protection is that if you show the item was shipped to their confirmed address, then that protects you as a seller. Over a certain amount (around $700?) they require signature confirmation for this protection.

True story. In the early 90’s I ordered an external dialup modem which was about $300. I never saw the package but it was marked as delivered in the system. I made a claim and they shipped me another modem.

About 6 months later, walking through the woods I find a modem lying on the ground with teeth marks all over it! Our pit bull dog had evidently been having a lot of fun with it. No signs of the original packaging though.

As it happens, a few days later the replacement modem I had been using stops working. Out of curiosity I tried using the dog-chewed modem from the woods and it worked!

I didn’t feel right returning the broken modem for warranty repair so I just kept using the one that was chewed up.

I had one that said it was delivered and neither the seller nor USPS would make good for it.

American Express made good on it since thats how I paid. You get insurance for certain things and it qualified as lost. I told them the exact story and they said sounds lost.

I promise - just like I told the postmaster no one was on my porch leaving it at whatever time it said delivered.

On the consumer end of things I get "Informed Delivery" emails about items being "out for delivery" and even "delivered" in tracking, but stuck at the post office for another night.

I live on a dead end road which makes it really easy for the carrier to skip a day here and there because they're running late.

Is it wrong to skip a house and lie about it by scanning delivered? Yup.

Stall another couple days, the package may just show up.

On the consumer end of things I get "Informed Delivery" emails about items being "out for delivery" and even "delivered" in tracking, but stuck at the post office for another night.

I live on a dead end road which makes it really easy for the carrier to skip a day here and there because they're running late.

Is it wrong to skip a house and lie about it by scanning delivered? Yup.

Stall another couple days, the package may just show up.

I've only had it happen once, where the tracking information listed the package as delivered, but it wasn't actually delivered until a couple of days later. I don't recall which carrier.

Another one just now.
From Bolivia. You need to refund my money. I never got it.
I look it up and it is from 9 months ago.
He declined insurance but I insured it anyways.
That said the window for insurance is only 6 months.

Most of the time they are working you because the mail system often does not update the delivery.

We had somebody in like Brussels europe buy a used blender on ebay, like $350 dollars or more, with photographed case crack. They get it and send pictures of the cracked piece loose from the case. They filed claim with Ebay, Ebay returned their money. Luckily for us they decided to blame the international forwarding company and they paid the price. Scammy buyer got free blender and can just glue that piece back on the side.

Online theft/scams will always be cutting into margins.

Back