USMC CH-53K King Stallion Recovery of Downed USN M-60S

Very interesting article from Marine Corps Times about the recovery of a downed USN M-60S Seahawk by an USMC CH-53K King Stallion in October. A very rugged, yet delicate operation up in the Inyo National Forest. The rotor wash shown in the embedded vids from the CH-53K is absolutely vicious.

H 53 Echo is what we used to call those. I used to run out across the flight deck to chock 'n chain those. 30 years ago.

The Kilo is a much improved version - more HP, more engines, higher gross weight, it's not a 53E, it's a 53K.

There was one day when the flight deck Chief was concerned about some liquid dripping on the deck from the front of the helicopter. He reached down and dabbed the puddle with his fingers before tasting it. He probably suspected it was either fuel or hydraulic fluid. As it turns out the liquid was from the pilot's relief tube. I still feel sorry for that Chief til this day.

There was one day when the flight deck Chief was concerned about some liquid dripping on the deck from the front of the helicopter. He reached down and dabbed the puddle with his fingers before tasting it. He probably suspected it was either fuel or hydraulic fluid. As it turns out the liquid was from the pilot's relief tube. I still feel sorry for that Chief til this day.
As an A&P I've often dabbed, and then sniffed, fluid that was present on the ground or on the aircraft.

But I've never, not one single time, considered tasting it! :ROFLMAO:

Back