Using oil at 63k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it normal to use oil by switching different brands? I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.3 V6. It's always had 5w20 Castrol GTX. Switched over to PYB and after 3k it's used 1/2 quart of oil. Is this normal? Keep in mind the van has never used oil while using GTX.

Last edited:
When was the PCV valve last serviced? Could be coincidence that it lost volume due to PCV valve not functioning around the time you switched brands. ??

Yes, it is normal. I've observed it before. The Pennzoil is cleaning up some small deposits in the ring area left behind by the Castrol. The next time you change your oil your van should return to its usual rate of oil consumption. The same thing would probably happen if you used Pennzoil for 63,000 miles then switched to Castrol.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Yes, it is normal. I've observed it before.

Me, too. Not sure why, but the consumption will likely drop off over time.

Its happened to me as well before too. If the PCV valve hasnt been changed, change it anyways and just keep oil topped up. It should get back to normal again soon.

05LGTLtd has the right idea. Look for some other cause. The PCV valve is a good place to start. I think it would be difficult to have one oil clean that much better than another in such a short time period especially when there is so little difference between those 2 oils beyond a few details.

Go back to Castrol.

Old guy advice always was if you start a vehicle on a specific oil, stay with it.

There is a grain of truth in this opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back