using coolant for injector flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi. i test fuel injectors regularly. i used to use gas but the post office has a fit and wont ship them with gas in them. now i use water and a digital flow meter. i used to have problems with the injectors if they sat around on the shelf for more than a few weeks. the water would react with the fuel residue and crystallize and plug up the injectors. now i use red RV plumbing system flush after they are tested. no problems yet but i do get worried. is there anything with better non-corrosive and non-crystallization properties that will not react with the fuel deposits and not break the bank?

By the way, the post office has no say in it, if you package it correctly they will never know. You don;t need to tell them what is inside, if you need to, make somthing up.

I ship diesel injectors regularly and never ever had a problem.

Good advice on displacing the gasoline with kerosene. The injector cleaning sites recommend double-bagging in plastic so there won't be any smell that would alarm the carrier.

Aren't there any other fluids ...less odorous if in fact there is a sphincter sniffing postal inspector? Mineral oil ..veggie oil ..etc..etc. Something that also won't have any corrosive or residual properties to it??

its the flammable/bomb sniffing dogs that get you. and then you get a visit from the postal inspectors. not much fun. not much fun at all.

Originally Posted By: jamesn
its the flammable/bomb sniffing dogs that get you. and then you get a visit from the postal inspectors. not much fun. not much fun at all.

No offens at all as I am not in your field, but if I found out the injector service center used water, I would be very nervous. Seal the injectors in something good, I am not sure what, but kerosene is not nearly as dangerous as gas. I just got a set of injectors back that had some kind of calibration fluid thru them and it stunk up the whole living room until I got home from work. Nothing ever happened to this package.

i am currently looking into just using "white oil" instead of the RV antifreeze. ii will still be testing them with water. that is what my meters are calibrated for.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Aren't there any other fluids ...less odorous if in fact there is a sphincter sniffing postal inspector? Mineral oil ..veggie oil ..etc..etc. Something that also won't have any corrosive or residual properties to it??

Veggie oil will turn to glue in a couple months.

Kinda like castor bean oil.

Maybe WD-40 would work

i looked at WD40. i go through a gallon or so a week when i am busy. its a little pricey. if only there was something cheap that will absorb the water that is still in there after i blow them out. anybody got any ideas.

Originally Posted By: jamesn
i looked at WD40. i go through a gallon or so a week when i am busy. its a little pricey. if only there was something cheap that will absorb the water that is still in there after i blow them out. anybody got any ideas.

Maybe try a mixture of 90% rubbing alcohol and a little motor oil. the alcohol would mix with the water and when it evaporated the oil would be left behind. But I dont think it's any cheaper then WD-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back