using coconut for baking

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all. I am making brownies and and thinking of using coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. I have never subbed that before. I figure it is 1 to 1. I plan to melt the oil in the microwave. Recipe calls for 2/3rd cup of oil.

I am known for my brownies at work and want to take it up a notch. I use Ghiraradelli chocolate and my own brew vanilla.
grin.gif

Coconut oil has a bit of a different taste. Try a batch for your self first.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Coconut oil has a bit of a different taste. Try a batch for your self first.

yeah, the unrefined does from my reading, the refined is neutral so they say. good idea a test batch just for me.
20.gif

Some coconut oil enhances the flavor. You might get a nice coconut flavor in the brownies.

But I've also had coconut oil that made everything it was used in worse. Surprising since it was organic and from Costco.

I think it depends on the coconut oil used, it was noticeable to me in some brownies, but in this case, made them better.

Thanks all. Decided to stay with vegetable oil for I have a contest at work so better not experiment for that.

guess I could post a pic of the results?

What on earth would being organic and from Costco have to do with how it performs in baking and how it tastes?

Originally Posted By: aa1986
Some coconut oil enhances the flavor. You might get a nice coconut flavor in the brownies.

But I've also had coconut oil that made everything it was used in worse. Surprising since it was organic and from Costco.

Originally Posted By: CT8
chiefsfan1 ,,, Brownie report ?????

Turned out great, decided not to experiment with coconut since it was a contest and no experience using it. did not want a screw up. lol
Did not win though.
I did figure out to barely grease the sides of the pan to allow the brownies to raise. They disappeared. main thing is to use good chocolate, REAL vanilla. In this case my own brew and duck eggs.
laugh.gif

and to take them out of the oven a few minutes early.

You did not win because..

You didn't use coconut oil (or peanut oil), you used duck eggs, you took them out of the oven early.

Now you can say I'm wrong but you lost and won't know if I'm right until the next contest.

That said, I'm sure I would enjoy your brownies.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FastGame

You didn't use coconut oil (or peanut oil), you used duck eggs, you took them out of the oven early.

Now you can say I'm wrong but you lost and won't know if I'm right until the next contest.

smile.gif

The Brownies...they disappeared !

Originally Posted By: FastGame

smile.gif

Well they DID disappear.
smile.gif

There were a LOT of entries not just desserts. it was all in.
Duck eggs give a richer taste. I took them out a bit early for they continue to cook after they are taken out. Depends if you like cake or fudgie ones. me like fudgie.
It was in a recipe book.
I just did not want to have a failure before the event. lol
I am sure you would. Zap them a bit and they melt in your mouth.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
and to take them out of the oven a few minutes early.

The only way to make them,YUM!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back