Using 10W-30 instead of 5W-30 - 2007 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing syn oil every 5K?! That's an utter waste of mullah and resource.

typical off-the-shelf Gp 3 or higher "syn" oil in NA, can easily get to 7~8kmiles w/o any issues (still some respectable TBN left). doing 5K OCI using these excellent oil is (esp. on OBD-II engines) is just like nowadays quikkie lube still encourages changing average conventional oil every 3k ....

I now pushes 5K for conventional API SN/ILSAC-GL5 oil on all the vehicles I maintain/service; and up to 9k on syn.

Q.

Of course you can use 10w30. At higher start up temps you would have to look at the viscosity curves to determine if there is any difference at all, and at operating temp there would be the same visc.

But, if you want better oil, buy synthetic 5w 30, if that's what the manufacturer says.

It will NOT take minutes longer for 10w30 to reach the bearings if a 5w30 would get there immediately... (?)

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
10W-30 is so slow at flowing, it takes a full 5 minutes to reach all the bearings on startup. But 5W-30 only takes 2/100ths of a second to reach all the bearings. With 10W-30, you're gonna find a lot of metal shavings at the bottom of the oil pan.

Trolling.gif

+1

5 minute vs 2/100's of a second? Entirely untrue. The cold viscosity of each determines the oil flow in the engine. You will be able to find conventional oils in a 5w-30 grade with a higher cold viscosity that some synthetic 10w-30 oils.

There may be less than a second difference in oil flow between the grades of the same type of oil. Over ten years and ~ 15,000 starts, this may equate to some added wear, but its not the end of the world.

I just got the fishing emodicon!

Yep hook line and sinker. You guys got me! I swear I thought he was serious. I haven't been on BITOG in a long time, so I fogot that I need to stay on my toes!
smile.gif

HA HA HA I totally saw what he was doing. First sucker of the thread, awesome!!

I dont think you could measure the difference cause the motor would sieze with the 10w30 before it even ran.
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
10W30 will not get into the nooks and crannies.
Your kidding right? 10W30 has been used for 20 years as the norm.. i just scored some 10W30 Synthetic oil,, i will run it in my 2010 Chevy with the 5.3 V-8 . Cap says 5w30
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: fxrider
10W30 will not get into the nooks and crannies.
Your kidding right? 10W30 has been used for 20 years as the norm.. i just scored some 10W30 Synthetic oil,, i will run it in my 2010 Chevy with the 5.3 V-8 . Cap says 5w30
grin.gif

Generally nooks and cranneies don't need lubrication, least mine don't...

Originally Posted By: Craig39630
Hah, you guys have me all kinds of confused now.
grin.gif

10W30 is fine, man. Heck, in your area you could run a 40 wt and be fine, with a possible decrease in mileage (ever so slight).

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Nooks and crannies need love too.

I just switched my daughter's 2008 Avalanche from 5W-30 Valvoline Premium to 10W-30 LE Monolec Ultra Blend (8130) a couple of weeks ago. I'll let you know how badly it hurts the engine if you want to wait.

^Exactly, and THAT is the quantifiable issue at stake here.

We have to look at this subjectively lest we go full retard, emo for the win!
grin2.gif

j/k

Ya think it aint gettin there with 10W30??
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back