Used Scania 2002705 differential oil filter

We use these filters on our fleet of Scania trucks, I never thought they did much at all but I was very wrong. This was in use for about 8000KM with a factory fill of unknown gear oil, a much shorter interval than what would be typical for our trucks. As this was the truck's first service I drained the differential oils and was surprised to find them extremely clear so I became curious about these filters and the results speak for themselves. The filter media on an unused filter is pure white so it obviously has caught a lot of crud. This seems to be a very high quality filter but I have absolutely no idea who the manufacturer could be.

One thing I noticed was the bypass valve spring was VERY heavy which is odd considering it appears the filter is fed via splash lubrication.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

The filter itself looks well constructed.

The Wix xref shows a 29 psid for the BP; that is fairly stiff for sure.

I'm completely baffled how a filter can be fed only via splash lubrication; how does that work? It appears to be traditionally mounted; screw threads in the baseplate. The only way I would expect this filter to work properly is some manner of pressure differential causing flow through the media. Am I missing something here? Are there any external lube lines going to/from the diff?; sort of a scavenger pump system that would apply pressure to push the fluid through the filter?

Can you post some pix of how it's mounted on the diff?

Last edited:
We use these filters on our fleet of Scania trucks, I never thought they did much at all but I was very wrong. This was in use for about 8000KM with a factory fill of unknown gear oil, a much shorter interval than what would be typical for our trucks. As this was the truck's first service I drained the differential oils and was surprised to find them extremely clear so I became curious about these filters and the results speak for themselves. The filter media on an unused filter is pure white so it obviously has caught a lot of crud. This seems to be a very high quality filter but I have absolutely no idea who the manufacturer could be.

One thing I noticed was the bypass valve spring was VERY heavy which is odd considering it appears the filter is fed via splash lubrication.

View attachment 168272View attachment 168273View attachment 168274View attachment 168275View attachment 168276View attachment 168277View attachment 168278View attachment 168279View attachment 168280
Nice filter. I like the wire mesh that’s around pleats. Thank You 👍🍻

Apologies for not returning sooner. Splash lubrication probably isn't the right word, sling lubrication may be more accurate. For a tandem axle setup like on this truck there are two different ways these filters are mounted, the forward axle uses a remote mounted filter which I have less than no idea how it works. The rear most axle has the filter mounted about halfway up the rear of the axle pumpkin and has a funnel to catch oil for the filter and a drain pipe on the bottom which looks like this: https://autoline.info/-/sale/oil-fi...ilter-Casing-Drive-Axle--19110521531880853400

In the attached picture you can see how it is mounted.

Attachments

• spare-part-axle-SCANIA-Rear-axel-housing---1669805910774848214_big--22112612570708917900.jpg
    spare-part-axle-SCANIA-Rear-axel-housing---1669805910774848214_big--22112612570708917900.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 18
Back