Used Fram Xtended Guard (Ultra) - over a decade old!!!

18AB4222-C859-4D8C-B5BB-375A5101BBF2.jpeg
1B39AA6E-B1F9-4106-A3AF-B69987FE65A7.jpeg
213BA6C2-30C8-4840-910E-772B0AAB751B.jpeg
CFC4B2E9-3D03-4189-9169-76835B35E168.jpeg
08E59B9C-9F58-4CE8-B9E9-685C2069C750.jpeg
I only ran this for 3,000 miles. I was concerned how such an old oil filter would hold up. I bought it as old stock, it had been on the shelf unused for all these years.

Well these Fram Ultras are built like tanks. Over a decade old and ZERO issues. Good rubber gasket, and nice and flexible silicone drain back valve. I twisted the silicone and rubber around to test it and nothing cracked whatsoever.

Extremely impressive to say the least. Fear not using an old Fram Ultra, they are up to the task.

Oh yeah and the magnets in there appear to have worked!

The biggest thing is how they're stored, just make sure they don't get exposed to high humidity because they'll end up rusting. Although I've noticed the older filters I have, have sort of a nasty off gassing rubber stink but I cut one open and it's fine inside.

View attachment 146371View attachment 146372View attachment 146373View attachment 146374View attachment 146375I only ran this for 3,000 miles. I was concerned how such an old oil filter would hold up. I bought it as old stock, it had been on the shelf unused for all these years.

Well these Fram Ultras are built like tanks. Over a decade old and ZERO issues. Good rubber gasket, and nice and flexible silicone drain back valve. I twisted the silicone and rubber around to test it and nothing cracked whatsoever.

Extremely impressive to say the least. Fear not using an old Fram Ultra, they are up to the task.

Very nice. What oil and oil filter went back in and on?

View attachment 146371View attachment 146372View attachment 146373View attachment 146374View attachment 146375I only ran this for 3,000 miles. I was concerned how such an old oil filter would hold up. I bought it as old stock, it had been on the shelf unused for all these years.

Well done man… OG for the win…
At least now we can get a Fram Endurance filter that is just like this one… Built like a tank and great filtration too.

Well done man… OG for the win…
At least now we can get a Fram Endurance filter that is just like this one… Built like a tank and great filtration too.
I would see if maybe we can get Ascent to test an Endurance & a newer style Ultra before jumping to conclusions on filtration... The Endurance does appear to have a stronger, thicker can than an OG Ultra (one of my main problems with them).

@blufeb95 covered the storage consideration, humidity. I think as long as decent storage, no visible rust and with synthetic media, should be fine. Clearly topic fit that. I had a blended media Bosch Dist+ stored a long time inside house. It looked and worked fine with use. Those came in nice clear plastic box too.

So yeah, an OG Extended Guard, predecessor to the OG media Ultra. This one just getting warmed up at 3k miles, but understand the age and unknown storage consideration. Excellent filter, at an excellent price.

Thanks for c&p.

I would see if maybe we can get Ascent to test an Endurance & a newer style Ultra before jumping to conclusions on filtration... The Endurance does appear to have a stronger, thicker can than an OG Ultra (one of my main problems with them).

I disagree... To a extent.

The RP Andrew tested was almost in line with the Fram Ultra filter media in terms of efficiency. RP like the Fram Ultra filter material was even more efficient than what they stated.

Back