(USED) Fram Ultra XG3506

From my 911, was run with Delo 15W-40:

IMG_20181204_124027.jpg

IMG_20181204_124103.jpg

IMG_20181204_124111.jpg

IMG_20181204_124120.jpg

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Looks like it did the job. What went back i and on?

Thanks
smile.gif

I installed an STP S3675ML and STP Euro 5W-40.

Are the endcaps not parallel or is that an optical illusion? Not the finest FU specimen, especially one wide pleat spacing. That said, as long as didn't tear it got the job done. How many miles and how long was it run?

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Are the endcaps not parallel or is that an optical illusion? Not the finest FU specimen, especially one wide pleat spacing. That said, as long as didn't tear it got the job done. How many miles and how long was it run?

Not very long. 6 months, unsure of miles. Probably not more than 2,500.

On my sons T6 R-Design Volvo..most of the Fram Ultras have had spacing that bad or worse than shown above. They still hold together after 5,000 miles with no change.

Originally Posted by tenderloin
On my sons T6 R-Design Volvo..most of the Fram Ultras have had spacing that bad or worse than shown above. They still hold together after 5,000 miles with no change.
Also true of most Ultra cartridges I've seen in stores---the ones with plastic end caps. Pleats of their (Chinese) Tough Guards tend to be much less erratically spaced.

Pleat spacing has nothing to do with with the filter doing its job.
It didn't tear so it worked fine.
Why did you only run for 2500 miles?You wasted a good filter.

Originally Posted by Dallas69

And yet... If the Purolator Boss I cut open had pleat spacing like this, the whole forum would be all over it. An Ultra looks like trash and it gets a pass.

I ran it for 6 months. I change my oil and filter every 6 months.

If you want to run MY oil and filter longer in YOUR car, give me your address; it's all yours.

At least reinforced media has less chance of tearing. Good margin of safety buying a filter with wire backed media. I don't like odd pleat spacing either. Seems no manufacturer is immune to it, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
At least reinforced media has less chance of tearing. Good margin of safety buying a filter with wire backed media. I don't like odd pleat spacing either. Seems no manufacturer is immune to it, unfortunately.

The Boss media is reinforced. Unless you just meant in general, in which case I agree.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by 69Torino

The Boss media is reinforced. Unless you just meant in general, in which case I agree.

Pleat spacing matters BIG TIME for paper filters IMO. Wire back syn media like the Boss or Ultra, not so much. There's still no excuse for any filter not having good tight, even pleating, but I digress.

This is definitely one of the ugliest Ultras I've seen.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Dallas69

And yet... If the Purolator Boss I cut open had pleat spacing like this, the whole forum would be all over it. An Ultra looks like trash and it gets a pass.

I ran it for 6 months. I change my oil and filter every 6 months.

If you want to run MY oil and filter longer in YOUR car, give me your address; it's all yours.

lol.gif

Awesome !!

I have never seen an Ultra with bad pleat spacing, it must have to do with the new design. Seemly wide spaced pleats would be more prone to tears, so the more even spacing the better IMO. I have had one of these on my Accord for the past 10 months with little concern but will be moving the the OE Honda filter for the next OCI.

I have never seen an Ultra with bad pleat spacing, it must have to do with the new design. Seemly wide spaced pleats would be more prone to tears, so the more even spacing the better IMO. I have had one of these on my Accord for the past 10 months with little concern but will be moving the the OE Honda filter for the next OCI.
I think this one was too long ago for that, 2018. Ironically, it survived that atrocious pleat spacing BECAUSE it was an OG Ultra-the new style might have been a different story.

Back